420 Sail has poor shape.

Jurjen

Bought an older 420 that I’m trying to rig correctly. The thing was a bargain, but over the years got jury/jerry rigged together so it needs some work.

The problem I’m having, is that the mainsail has quite a bit of sag down the bottom(see pictures). All three corners of the sail are tight and I’ve played quiet a bit with with prebend, rig tension, shroud position and spreader length/angle but can’t get proper sail shape.

The mast seems to be rigged according to class specs with all fittings the correct distance from the base, mast step and shroud attachments are in the
right spot too.

Thanks in advance, I’m more of a forum reader than a poster but I’m desperate on this one.

00A4DB8C-8E25-4CB9-AF94-43DCD07642DC.jpeg
90ECD3AB-92A3-4C80-BC65-28ECEAEF23CC.jpeg
F7316C64-8552-486E-A2AC-8A1F6FC7886B.jpeg

Just went through this with a “free” Rebel 16. Take them to a sail maker if you have doubts. Mine were stretched beyond worthless. New class sails from Quantum are fast and manageable. The new class main is loose footed. The old one was like yours. They don’t last forever and new materials are superior.

Thanks for the reply,
I didn’t realize sails could stretch like this.

I traded a guy I found online his pair of sails for a pack of beer. These are shaped slightly different and fit much better/tighter. Also the quality feels superior over the other ones.

Back