What's new

Why did you choose sailing over a Powerboat?

Bj rice

i am curious as to why everyone chose owning a sailboat over a powerboat. they both have there ups and downs but what were your main reasons for your decesion?

thanks
I must start by saying that the thrill and excitement of each time I ask my crew if they are ready to tack grants me such excitement as a kid in a candy store especially to a young new crew not ready for such a flip... sailing is better by means of hands on and survival.
Any idiot can turn a key and turn left and right, but a true sailor can create his own direction after the "fuel" has run out with even the slightest wind. If your sail fails, grab some string and sew. If your engine fails you'd better hope you're a mechanic with tons of spare parts on board... either way you put it, it's all based on the individual person, I can sail and love too because of my ideals and training to do so. Some may enjoy power to go faster, but skipping forward on the top of the water is not what I enjoy, I love the lean of the wind and the overflow of water spilling over the edges onto my feet that reminds of how every drop of water on my toes is there specifically because I wanted it there!!!

Weston

I enjoy the challenge of making use of wind and waves to get across the lake. It is something my wife and I enjoy doing together.

Weston

I enjoy the challenge of making use of wind and waves to get across the lake. It is something my wife and I enjoy doing together.

Bradley_DSCompany

i am curious as to why everyone chose owning a sailboat over a powerboat. they both have there ups and downs but what were your main reasons for your decesion?

thanks
After much thought I feel like this is a bad question. Like asking which is preferred, a truck or a car? The problem is that there are variables we all use to decide on which type of vessel we want and/or want to buy. Listing the variables for one person could be useless to the other. Cost, activity, social, utility and so-on are all variables that could be sub-divided into a million other variables.

Yet, here I am answering your question. I've purchased two sailboats in the past ten years. I have a passion for being on the water, and I work on power boats - large and small. Sailing brings in an element I cannot get at work. Sailing allows me to relate to the historical figures who have done so much for the maritime culture. With a passion for the water, I also have a passion for the maritime. Sailors like Columbus, Drake, Dana, Cook, etc took adventure to the extremes, and they were all under the context of a sail and man power. Drake on a power boat just isn't interesting. bCaptain | Dirty Sailor Company

Rob B

I do both. Actually I only race when sailing. It's too much work. If I'm on a pleasure cruise it's under power. That way I hardly ever have to put my beer down.

Ghost Rider

Planing into eternity...
Sailing = free power, powerboating = $$$ spent at the fuel dock or service station. A no-brainer for this notoriously cheap b@stard... "YEAH, I'LL TAKE FREE POWER FOR ZERO DOLLARS, ALEX!!!" :rolleyes:

Miko78

If you want to fish and relax on the water, then the powerboat is the right choice for you. If you feel a sense of pride in navigating the water and weather with your own bare hands, then a sailboat will be more your style. Recently I have recently purchased a brand new Princess 55 Flybridge from Princess Yachts UK. But due to the seller, I can admire or benefits of sailing. My story is here Buying a Brand New Princess 55: Welcome Folks! .

MikeBiggers

Anyone can driver motorboat, that is not a big idea. To sail you should think, feel wind and water. Of course oil cost and wind is for free :)
True, my friend. Driving a small motorboat and driving a small sailing boat, like the Azuree 40, are completely different things. And one more thing - driving a motorboat is really boring.