Why did you choose sailing over a Powerboat?

i am curious as to why everyone chose owning a sailboat over a powerboat. they both have there ups and downs but what were your main reasons for your decesion?

thanks

I must start by saying that the thrill and excitement of each time I ask my crew if they are ready to tack grants me such excitement as a kid in a candy store especially to a young new crew not ready for such a flip... sailing is better by means of hands on and survival.
Any idiot can turn a key and turn left and right, but a true sailor can create his own direction after the "fuel" has run out with even the slightest wind. If your sail fails, grab some string and sew. If your engine fails you'd better hope you're a mechanic with tons of spare parts on board... either way you put it, it's all based on the individual person, I can sail and love too because of my ideals and training to do so. Some may enjoy power to go faster, but skipping forward on the top of the water is not what I enjoy, I love the lean of the wind and the overflow of water spilling over the edges onto my feet that reminds of how every drop of water on my toes is there specifically because I wanted it there!!!

I enjoy the challenge of making use of wind and waves to get across the lake. It is something my wife and I enjoy doing together.

I enjoy the challenge of making use of wind and waves to get across the lake. It is something my wife and I enjoy doing together.

i am curious as to why everyone chose owning a sailboat over a powerboat. they both have there ups and downs but what were your main reasons for your decesion?

thanks

After much thought I feel like this is a bad question. Like asking which is preferred, a truck or a car? The problem is that there are variables we all use to decide on which type of vessel we want and/or want to buy. Listing the variables for one person could be useless to the other. Cost, activity, social, utility and so-on are all variables that could be sub-divided into a million other variables.

Yet, here I am answering your question. I've purchased two sailboats in the past ten years. I have a passion for being on the water, and I work on power boats - large and small. Sailing brings in an element I cannot get at work. Sailing allows me to relate to the historical figures who have done so much for the maritime culture. With a passion for the water, I also have a passion for the maritime. Sailors like Columbus, Drake, Dana, Cook, etc took adventure to the extremes, and they were all under the context of a sail and man power. Drake on a power boat just isn't interesting. bCaptain | Dirty Sailor Company

I do both. Actually I only race when sailing. It's too much work. If I'm on a pleasure cruise it's under power. That way I hardly ever have to put my beer down.

Sailing = free power, powerboating = $$$ spent at the fuel dock or service station. A no-brainer for this notoriously cheap b@stard... "YEAH, I'LL TAKE FREE POWER FOR ZERO DOLLARS, ALEX!!!" :rolleyes:

If you want to fish and relax on the water, then the powerboat is the right choice for you. If you feel a sense of pride in navigating the water and weather with your own bare hands, then a sailboat will be more your style. Recently I have recently purchased a brand new Princess 55 Flybridge from Princess Yachts UK. But due to the seller, I can admire or benefits of sailing. My story is here Buying a Brand New Princess 55: Welcome Folks! .

Anyone can driver motorboat, that is not a big idea. To sail you should think, feel wind and water. Of course oil cost and wind is for free :)
True, my friend. Driving a small motorboat and driving a small sailing boat, like the Azuree 40, are completely different things. And one more thing - driving a motorboat is really boring.

I do not understand those who say that driving a motor boat is boring! depends on the boat, if you have a small size of 8 meters, then yes - especially with it to entertain yourself, but on serious yachts there are many interesting things. I have a 2019 galleon 550 fly and I have a great and not bored time with my family and friends almost all summer. yes, the service is not cheap, but the pleasure cannot be compared with anything !!!

thanks
1) I find sailing to be more relaxing and I feel more accomplished after having used a physical skill set to complete the voyage.
2) The sailboat I have was free (well $250 worth of repairs and boat trailer)
3) I like doing more with less.
4) I enjoy being a little different.
5) Wind is exciting. I enjoy a good windy thunderstorm, waves, kites, wind turbines, and sailing.
If interested in number 3, I just made a video series about being the first to sail a Sunfish around Isle Royale on Lake Superior. 150 miles in a week. If you're interested feel free to check it out here: Adventures In Reach

Hey, AIR, I just watched Part 3 of your Isle Royale videos, great job on mixing it up with land-based adventure and nautical action... nice video footage of navigating through waves and surface chop, totally brought back memories of Laser sailing to Los Coronados! Keep up the good work, hand, and think about that Baja adventure, that would certainly bring more subscribers your way, LOL. Moi, I pulled those island voyages back in the day just to get the hell away from "civilization" as we know it, LOL, but you could really promote such adventures with your tech-savvy ways. :cool:

Like you, I've always been big on minimalist adventure, making the most out of smaller craft and doing things nobody has even seriously considered, aye? Who the f#% sails a 12' Minifish the length of the Salton Sea? Back in its heyday, the Salton never saw any Minifish, since they weren't even built yet... maybe some sailors pulled the same voyage in larger craft, hard to tell because there's limited documentation. But when I thought about doing it, I just told myself, "Hell, yeah!!! Nobody does this sh!t!!!" And the Salton is FUNKY too, but it's one helluva sailing venue when the breeze picks up, lemme tell ya... :rolleyes:

ALRIGHT, I'M BACK TO MY COLD BEER, MIGHT HAVE A LEAD ON MORE OTR ACTION IN THE NEAR FUTURE, CRUISING IN A 40-TON LAND YACHT, LOL... 10-TON RV WHEN YA DITCH THE WAGON AND JUST DRIVE THE ROCKETSHIP TRACTOR. :eek:

Edit: Gotta throw in this link again, just to back that "10-TON RV" claim, BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Damn, I was burning company fuel too in those 90-m.p.h. rigs... model employee, don'tcha know? My record was 358 miles on the odometer, f#%ing off and having a blast on Memorial Day Weekend, 1999. The very first shot documents that adventure... ;)

Random outdoor adventure shots... - Outdoor Adventure USA, LLC

And here's the story behind that bad@$$ adventure... :D

Triple Treat ("I ain't talkin' Baskin-Robbins!!!")

Last edited:
Even if I didn't live on a lake that has a no motor rule, I would choose sailing over motor any day. learned to sail when I was a little kid, my dad would take me out it was the best times I ever spent with him. When we were lucky enough to find a house on a lake that we could afford... getting a sail boat was the first thing on my mind. I got a kayak and used a downwind sail for a summer, that was fun. This year I got lucky and someone gave me an old sunfish. I spent most of the summer drying it out and it still needs a few patches, but next spring me and Agatha are off to the races I CAN NOT WAIT. Motor boats are just to loud part of sailing is being part of nature and letting the wind take you.

Back