Wayne Carney sails off to final reward

Gail

Thanks to Keith Judson, co-moderator of the Yahoo!Group Sunfish_Sailor for sharing the following:

Wayne Carney (October 5, 1951 – October 9, 2010)

It is with great sadness that I pass along the news that Wayne Carney passed away on October 9th, 2010, at the age of 59. Wayne had been ill with a rapidly progressing degenerative disease for several years and it finally overtook him. He had been unable to work for over 3 years, but did remain independently living on his own, although housebound. He did not share the details of his decline freely, so his demise surprised even those close to him. As many of you know, Wayne was the moderator of the Sunfish_Sailor Yahoo website as well as several other sailing websites and a frequent contributor to the Sunfish Forum.. His participation in the online world of sailing was the last active interest he could participate in and was a very important community to him. In this way, he retained a cherished sense of freedom and could always inhabit the world of sailing he so loved.

Wayne grew up in the Midwest, the eldest of 3 children (with 2 sisters), and honed his sailing skills on the Great Lakes. His dad, a US Navy veteran, taught him to sail on Lightnings and Stars at age 8. In high school, he bought his first Sunfish and then a Hobie Cat. He taught many of his friends to sail, and delighted in sailing on Lake Michigan near Chicago until he moved to Colorado at age 21. He discovered Colorado on a ski trip as a teenager and felt immediately it was his true home.

Like his father, he had an engineering mind. His first career was as a Volkswagen mechanic in Chicago and then Colorado Springs. After a few years, he became a bicycle mechanic before moving to Fort Collins to attend Colorado State University, where he majored in geology and computer science. He continued to work while in school and became the quality control manager for a small injection-molded plastics manufacturing company, later becoming their computer network manager.

He was an avid outdoorsman and thoroughly enjoyed activities such as hiking, fly fishing, white-water rafting, kayaking, bicycling, skiing, snowshoeing, ice skating and, of course, sailing. He was also quite interested in petroglyphs, as befits his geology background. He often took vacations to archeological sites in Utah and Colorado. He loved to introduce friends and family to the pleasures and wonders of these places and all his outdoor activities. Whether on the water or on foot, the natural world of the Rocky Mountains and surrounding areas was his spiritual home and being active there his greatest joy. If it were possible, Wayne would probably have spent his entire life outside in the wilderness.

Like his mother, a special education teacher, Wayne liked to help people, one reason he started the Sunfish_Sailor website. Detail was his middle name and he was glad to offer assistance to both sailing neophytes as well as expert sailors. He lived a very simple life in terms of material possessions, but a very rich life through his interests and interactions with other people.

Wayne also had a wry and sharp sense of humor that was evident in many of his responses to questions on the Sunfish_Sailor website. The sailing community and his family and many friends will miss him deeply. When the Rocky Mountains are green and the trout are biting again in the summer of 2011, his ashes will be scattered at his favorite fly-fishing spot on the Poudre River near Fort Collins, CO.

He is survived by his 2 sisters and his mother. A memorial website is under construction. When ready, all his sailing groups will be notified. The family has created an email address for direct communication now: [email protected]

Note: If you are personally acquainted with the family, please be aware that his mother has advanced dementia and is not being informed of his death.

Gail,
thanks for posting this here as well - I saw it on the Yahoo Sunfish_Sailor group this morning. Wayne was such a great source of knowledge in all things Sunfish and other small boat sailing topics. he will be sorely missed.

fair winds, Wayne.

cheers,
thad

A very wise sailor
he always had an answer to every question asked in this forum
Rest in peace Wayne

He will be missed. I once wrote that I should name my Sunfish "The Wayne" since so many of his answers to my beginner questions is what made the boat sailable.

Fair winds,

J.

As others have already pointed out, Wayne was so very patient and helpful in his contributions to this Forum. I especially appreciated the fact that even though Sunfish Sailor on Yahoo! Groups was his primary focus, he nevertheless contributed immensely to this Forum as well. More than 1200 posts, all of them to the point and often also humorous.
For instance, in his last post (Oct 8), I found this passage:

Having sailed in that area I am familiar with the wind and dunes of the Michigan shore. Not surprising sand wedged the mast in, but more surprising someone strolling down the beach didn't liberate the mast to recycle for a couple of beers.

Fair winds Wayne, and have a couple of beers while you are sailing up there in your no-maintenance, state-of-the-art, boat.

My condolences to Wayne's family. And his loss will really be felt here. He knew so much and shared so much of his time and knowledge. I really don't think he can be replaced, and we are the worse for it.

Chris

God's Speed indeed, Wayne. I am taken back reading about this. I am indebted to Wayne for all his wisdom and brotherhood of sailing he willingly shared with all. He helped me reproduce an original set of drawings for the Sailfish and Sunfish. I too will remember Wayne for the way I set up and sail my Sunfish. The other skippers on this site I met due to Wayne have revived and enriched my love for sailing . Although Wayne helped me dry out and lighten a hull or two, I find my eyes are a bit leaky and my heart very heavy this morning.

May His Memory be Enternal.
Pete S.

Attachments

• Wayne_SAIL_ON_MY_FRIEND .jpg
    Wayne_SAIL_ON_MY_FRIEND .jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 50
I was saddened to hear of Wayne's passing. I followed his posts on the Yahoo Sunfish site and here on the Sunfish Forum, and I enjoyed several private exchanges with him on various topics. He seemed to have the final word on all things board boat, but he never flaunted his knowledge, and was very kindly toward novice and expert alike. For such a wet sport, he had a delightful dry sense of humor, and I will miss his regular contributions to his fellow small boat sailors.

If there is an afterlife where we are restored to the strength and vigor of our youth, Wayne deserves to be there on a full plane under perpetual sunny skies and fair winds.

Alan Glos

I was talking to an old friend, when my days up in Ft. Fun came up, and more importantly, thinking of my old roommate and friend, Wayne Carney. Unlike Generations before, we can not find out quickly how somebody is doing, or not. Needless to say, I am deeply sadden to find that Wayne has Passed.
Back in '79, Wayne and I ended up at roommates, when I was 19 and he was 28, give or take. He had just gotten out of a divorce, and was deciding what to do with his life. Prior, he had been a VW mechanic and was content to do that. The divorce changed him. He suddenly aspired to more. When I moved in, with 3 semesters at NIU, I was further along in academia, while he was much further ahead in life. He started off on Geology, but part way into the degree, stated that America needed to focus on Quality, or we were going to lose our shirt. SO, he picked up his degree in Quality from CSU. Geology and Comp. Sci where simply one of his many passions. You see, before moving up to Ft. Fun, he had worked at Apple Jack's and became close to the owners family (which I wonder if they know about this). During that time, he learned a great deal about wine and spirits. On many a nights, Wayne and I would sit on the front porch on Et. Elizabeth, Ft. Fun, and watch the night going by, while he explained about the various bottle of wine, whiskey, Gin, Vodka, etc that he had. Wayne had made it a PASSION to learn. He did the same with geology, and comp. sci. In fact, my first degree was in micro-bio, and this guy in 1981 (2?) bought a tandy PC, in which we would write to a tape drive. He was saving up for a hard disk because he was so certain that Computers were the important areas to be. During those evening discussion, we would talk about life back in Illinois. I told him that I grew up racing C-scows on Wonder Lake. Well, wayne got all excited and told me about the history of Wonder Lake. It turned out, that his Grandfather was one of the partners that built it. He said that his grandfather was upset about it, because they too short-cuts that he was opposed to. Apparently, the other partners were concerned about the coming World war, while Wayne's GD wanted to quality operation. For those of us who have live in Wonder lake, or know of it, you know that it is filling in. The reason is because of those shortcuts. Wayne's GD pushed Quality as lacking and was upset by it.
Wayne and I were roommates for about 5 years. He was a wonderful person, who was all over the board in interest. If ever there was a renaissance man, this was one of them. He simply enjoyed life during the time that I knew him. I wished that I had stayed in touch with him. It is my loss.
There is a simple saying, I heard once:
Everybody brings joy in your life: Some in coming and others in going.
With Wayne, it would be in his coming.
RIP

Wayne was an incredible human being, intelligent, compassionate, passionate, curious, loving, and caring. He knew how to be a true friend. Conversations never ceased with Wayne, they were endless, which is what I loved so much about being with him. His talents were amazing. An accomplished mechanic, he could fix or rig anything, he made custom built ins for the home and could pretty much grasp any complicated concept on the mental plane, or he could work with his hands to make just about anything he desired or fix anything on the physical plane. I remember Wayne as a bicycle racer, with numerous bikes, a rock hound, who loved classical music, an accomplished cook, fly fisherman and an avid reader. Several computers of various generations were always at the house. He loved to back pack, and turned me on to my most favorite backpacking place, where I caught golden trout with my hands in a stream coming from a high glacier lake. Wayne was your typical gear head in high school, he loved attending car shows and the classics. His demeanor was even and kind.

Wayne Carney is an important person to me. We met in our twenties, in Fort Collins, while working at a restaurant, as returning “older” students at CSU. Wayne was divorced before we met. We both hailed from the Chicago area. Our relationship spanned several decades, although the last few decades we did not keep up. We dated briefly in our twenties when we met in Fort Collins, and later, lived together after my divorce in our thirties. Wayne gave me so many gifts; I don’t know where to begin. The gifts he gave me are the ones that come with me to the grave. Wayne made me feel loved. The emotional support, the caring, the friendship, the numerous little things, the constant and never ceasing conversation is what makes me a lucky woman to have known him. Wayne never had harsh words nor played in emotional or mental mind games; I could talk about anything with him. Wayne allowed me the greatest gifts you can give another person, the freedom to be myself, to not judge me, while giving me the love and support that I needed, including letting me find my own way. Wayne taught me how to shoot a gun(s), when I was afraid of them, teaching me to be comfortable around them. Wayne advised me on my first road bike, a Miata 912, which I still have, it is like a Cadillac classic. He took care of my cat, Gato, while I set off to the northwest on a lark that became gainful employment and new career; he had stored my piano when I was married when my husband was tired of moving it around. Wayne tried to give me the one thing that I valued most. My personal history with Wayne is one of the most meaningful relationships in my life even though we were not together for most of our lives. We shared a love for the outdoors, classic cars and car shows, conversation, all things beautiful, technical, and homemade, Halloween, so many things, and numerous years in Fort Collins. Yes, Wayne would be considered a renaissance man. And then there was his affinity for Pepsi and cigarettes! I still remember 416 E. Elizabeth with great detail, a modest but comfortable bungalow which was more than a house; it was a home, which I shared with him for four years in the late 1980s. The Friday evening sandwiches at Avogadro’s Number, listening to music, the pulley system in the garage to store my kayak up above the floor, the endless conversations about everything and anything, the birthday in which I was so touched by his thoughtfulness, tears me to this day– I woke up to about 10 cards strategically placed all around the house… my bed, the bathroom mirror, the refrigerator, everywhere I would be….. the meaningful gifts of just being.
I look around my home today and see at least three cards that Wayne gave me over the years that so suited me and what I found to be beautiful art, that they have been framed for decades. I pass by them daily. One card is framed with a matching handmade etching on sandstone, a hieroglyphic drawing that Wayne etched on stone to match the card he had given to me another time, from his jaunts in Utah.
Wayne’s words, his caring, compassionate, and loving nature are with me all my days. Thank you from my true self, from my heart, with deepest gratitude for being loved and accepted by you, and knowing and loving you. I can only hope to see you greet me upon my own return; we’ll always have much to catch up on and talk about.

Back