water in the hull

Cavi

okay, after a couple hours in the water, calm water, not much over the top of the hull I had quite a bit of water in the hull. I cannot see any visable place where water is getting in. Ideas? I am thinking I will reseal all hardware and maybe along the underside of the rail?

Do a leak test (see FAQ) and follow the bubbles to the leaky areas. Seal with your goop of choice.

Alan Glos

Ouch, good luck on that! It only took a couple of weeks to dry out our damp 1960s 'fish (two ports with a fan running), but she was just a little heavy. No loose water inside, but the foam was definitely damp.

anyone have a picture of where the "air vent" hole really is as I have not seen it?

Our 1960 Sunfish has two little drain plugs, starboard and port, near the aft tips of the splashguard. Oh crap, I just remembered I need to get a plug for the missing one. Sigh. :rolleyes:

I am looking for the air vent hole not the drain plug. If anyone has a picture it would be appreciated

Here's a picture... The vent is just below the rub rail in the "front vertical face of the cockpit tub". This picture is looking up under the rub rail where the hook or ratchet block would be. The vent is the hole near the bottom of the picture.

attachment.php

I suppose if there is not a vent hole there you can add one :) See pic

Watch to see if you can spot water dripping out somewhere after you pull the boat out. We found a soft spot on a keel that way, a trailer roller had crushed the fiberglass under gelcoat, hard to see.

Common leak areas:
1) Daggerboard well, chipped fiberglass
2) Inside mast step, chipped glass
3) stern drain plug if installed
4) bailer, separation of bonding between cockpit and hull, you'll see a very fine line

If your getting a lot of water in calm water, I'm guessing you have a leak on the hull below the water line

Attachments

• Perdido swivel cam cleat.JPG
    Perdido swivel cam cleat.JPG
    495.8 KB · Views: 56
well, last thrus, I went out with full tube of silicone, inspected everything, no real issues, I did end up sealing around the daggerboard housing top and bottom, as well as the mast hole, then also sealed all around the edge of the hull where the aluminum trim is. took it out on sunday and all was great, no water!!! Lucky for us summer is here so I will leave the port cover off starting in the next couple of weeks and 95 degree weather should dry out the foam fairly fast!!!

Back