upgrade questions--tiller extension and ratchet block

cnovark

Hello! My second time out alone on the Sunfish was awesome. I want to do a couple of winter upgrades. One, a ratchet block. I currently have a mainsheet block on a little spring, but it doesn't "click." Please forgive my technical ignorance :). A ratchet one will make it easier to pull in my sail, right? Do you guys have any recommendation? I'm thinking this:
http://www.intensitysails.com/ha257caramas.html
Is that overkill? I do want to race next summer, but just locally, nothing big. Mostly I just want something that will make it a bit easier on me.

Two, a tiller extention. My current tiller extension is a piece of PVC pipe about as thick as my thumb. I'm not sure how long it is. Not quite as long as the tiller. Choices on the Intensity website range in price from $25-110. What exactly am I looking for here? Is there a big difference? Right now I'm not a fan of using my tiller extension, but I know I need to get used to it.

Thanks!

Ratchet blocks vary in price from $40-$70 or so. The one you selected is on the higher end of price. Nautos makes one for a little less money. But they all do the same and that is that in heavier air you can engage the ratchet and it gives increase holding power. I'm here at the Sunfish Worlds in St Pete, FL (not racing though) and most boats use just a ratchet block, no cleats. There are some that do though, but all are deck mounted side deck cleats and not the swivel mainsheet block with cleat.

Tiller extensions are a matter of preference as far as length. I believe most racers use the longer 48 inch length. For me that is too long so I use a 36 inch (check the Intensity web site under the Daysailor). The original wood tiller extension was only 24 inch and for me that was too short.

A ratchet one will make it easier to pull in my sail, right? Do you guys have any recommendation? I'm thinking this:
http://www.intensitysails.com/ha257caramas.html

Thanks!

I don't think the ratchet block will make it necessarily easier to PULL the sail back in, but it should help reduce how much load your hands see to keep the sail in a set position. Does that makes sense? The grooves in the sheave on the mainsheet block help "grip" the mainsheet line so that it it harder for the wind to pull the sail away from you.

I personally have a Harken 2135 - a slightly cheaper version but you have to switch on/off the ratcheting effect. I just leave it on all the time - I'm sure the automatic part is nice for the #2625, but it wasn't worth the extra $15 to $20 to me.

sailcraftri gave pretty good advice on the tiller extension - that 36" version from Intensity Sails is probably a great place to start.

When I upgraded I had seen so many recommendations about tiller extension length that I was confused. I was also concerned about the longer tiller extension getting in the way, so I bought the extendable Battlestick that goes from about 28 to 50 inches. I found that I leave it so that it reaches almost all the way to the front of the cockpit all the time. What I found was that it depends on how far forward that you situate yourself in the boat, and how much you have to hike out.

Ratchet blocks vary in price from $40-$70 or so. The one you selected is on the higher end of price. Nautos makes one for a little less money. But they all do the same and that is that in heavier air you can engage the ratchet and it gives increase holding power. I'm here at the Sunfish Worlds in St Pete, FL (not racing though) and most boats use just a ratchet block, no cleats. There are some that do though, but all are deck mounted side deck cleats and not the swivel mainsheet block with cleat.

Tiller extensions are a matter of preference as far as length. I believe most racers use the longer 48 inch length. For me that is too long so I use a 36 inch (check the Intensity web site under the Daysailor). The original wood tiller extension was only 24 inch and for me that was too short.

As far as tiller extensions, most Sunfishers (and that includes the racers) prefer something in the mid-thirties (length in inches).
Telescoping extensions are expensive, heavy and, from reading other messages on this Forum, fail at inopportune moments

Back