Universal joint..to replace or not to replace

Fun Fish

Hi Sunfish people,

The sun has finally come out in the south and it's back to the water--hooray! I have a universal joint question....is this something folks recommend replacing regularly or only when it starts looking very sketchy (and stretchy and torn up)? Thanks in advance! Gratefully, Fun Fish

I don't understand your question. What/where is the universal joint on a Sunfish to which you refer?

Fred

I don't have one myself (I still have the ol' wooden tiller extension), but if it is looking sketchy, and is in any way torn up, I'd just replace it - only $9 (and free shipping) at Laser Performance.

Fred, I believe he's referring to this (pic below): it attaches the newer style tiller extension to the tiller.
20-90-0-2.jpg

These rubber tiller extensions usually break at some point and usually at the worst possible time (Murphy's Nautical Law #1). Mine broke at the 5 minute start gun at the Upstate NY Regionals a few years back and I had to jury rig a fix with a shoe lace. When you replace, get the universal with a solid rope core - that way when the rubber breaks, you still have a connection between the extension and the tiller even if it flops around a bit more than desired. The Annapolis Performance Sailing catalog has a number of options at their usual high prices.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia

p.s. Here is what Spring (?) in Upstate NY looks like. This photo was taken a few days after 2 feet of new snow slid off my roof. Think June!

Attachments

• L1010581.jpg
    L1010581.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 37
Also make sure that the universal will fit the extension that you already own. For instance, get an RWO universal with an RWO extension.
Or, in other words, the Ronstan pieces don't fit the RWO pieces well. There are other brands as well, but these are the most common on (race) Sunfishes.

The universals with the inside rope are about twice as expensive. Therefore, it's a judgment call whether you want to spend the extra money.

Back