Small outboard motors on Capri 14.2

I do just use the standard motor vice screws to hold it onto the fiberglass and hadn't had any damage for a couple years.

I do just stuff the batter center up in the cuddy, but I have plenty of stuff up there... and oar, extra cushions for when we beach, boat bumpers that I use to roll up beaches etc. So I'm actually setting the center up out of any sloshing water (which is minimal) and it's braced by all the other stuff so it's not banging and flailing on it's own. Works great. I stuff the motor up there as well if you hadn't thought of that.. you will want it out of the way in good wind. I put it in prop first then there's a swing maneuver that gets the handle in. The battery center goes in last.

I can send pics sometime if you can visualize the functional mess up there.

Awesome thanks for the info! I ended up getting a nice new 40# Minn Kota saltwater motor this afternoon. Also bought the Minn Kota power center battery holder and a 100 Ah Group 29 battery deep cycle marine lead acid battery. So I should be set for some long days out on the water sailing and trolling around!

Two questions for you:
-My transom is hollow and I have a hard time imagining that those clamps won't wreck it, even if I put some wood in between the planks to distribute the load. Do you know if your transom is hollow? Does it flex much? I can make it flex with just medium pressure from my hand.
-Have you capsized with your battery/motor up there? I'm pretty certain I'll be doing some capsizing over the summer and am afraid of the damage both to the cuddy and to the battery/motor...

Thanks!!

Awesome thanks for the info! I ended up getting a nice new 40# Minn Kota saltwater motor this afternoon. Also bought the Minn Kota power center battery holder and a 100 Ah Group 29 battery deep cycle marine lead acid battery. So I should be set for some long days out on the water sailing and trolling around!

Two questions for you:
-My transom is hollow and I have a hard time imagining that those clamps won't wreck it, even if I put some wood in between the planks to distribute the load. Do you know if your transom is hollow? Does it flex much? I can make it flex with just medium pressure from my hand.
-Have you capsized with your battery/motor up there? I'm pretty certain I'll be doing some capsizing over the summer and am afraid of the damage both to the cuddy and to the battery/motor...

Thanks!!
Transom flexes but hasn't cracked or anything in all the years I've motored. Your making me feel guilty enough to add in a slice of marine plywood (plastic) for protection but no, never had damage beyond that windy wild spin that ended up twisting/scraping/chipping that small piece that I still need to epoxy over.

As for capsized issues, that's why you need to stuff things up in cuddy with real or squirrelly wind. Last time I capsized this boat was 1992 on Lake Michigan so I'm not that worried about it but I know I'd lose the power center and possibly the motor since they're not strapped down beyond the motor clamps.

You just made me think of why I have no damage from the clamps and why it flipped off the transom in the fast tack that one time... I don't really clamp it down absurdly hard. When I'm motoring I usually raise the rudder and center the motor up close to the rudder/center on the port side and I haven't had to tighten it down to where the transom flexes or bends to keep it stable. Again, I have a 30, don't know how much bigger/heavier the 40 is, but if you only clamp for stability not solidity you should be fine.

Hahah I have another friend telling me that I shouldn't go out without the Catalina Direct factory mount or else I will destroy my transom! Such different opinions. Well I'm going to take your route and go out today with a couple wood planks and the motor just sitting on the transom. Will report back.

Thanks for all the helpful advice!!

Fascinated to hear how it goes... I have a minor Sunfish fiberglass touch up to do tomorrow so all this transom talk has shamed me into touching up the Capri as well. The only damage I'd gotten from mounting the motor was that chip from the spin three years ago (and I should have just filled it in then, but hey, if you can just go sail...)

I have a mount and a small Yamaha outboard, but I feel it interferes and she sails much better without it, so I have just gotten used to sailing without a motor, and just love it that way. Maybe a trolling motor is much lighter and would be less noticeable when sailing.

Hahah I have another friend telling me that I shouldn't go out without the Catalina Direct factory mount or else I will destroy my transom! Such different opinions. Well I'm going to take your route and go out today with a couple wood planks and the motor just sitting on the transom. Will report back.

Thanks for all the helpful advice!!

That chip is the only destruction I've had with the 30 sized motor in nearly 6 years for use. Because of all this talking I did epoxy the exposed glass today... should have done that in 2013 when it happened... alas, and thanks for the shaming (focus).

As crazy as the day was that did the chip I suspect as much or more could have happened if a bracket/braces had been twisted off... totally my fault and hasn't happened again.

Hope your adventure goes well. I wouldn't try to sail with it still on the transom if the wind is sporty or you'll run into more adventure than planned. I always used it to get out of harbors or tucked in boat ramps then I removed it and raised the sails. I've rigged up a topping line that keeps the boom up with the sail down which makes the motoring and raising sails fairly easy.

Now I'm spoiled and just launch off the backyard but we still use the motor on calm evening to float over to fun stuff (live music etc).

DSC_1428.JPGDSC_0425-02.jpegDSC_1416-03.jpegDSC_1417-01-01.jpeg

It all went great! I think for the time being just clamping down on the wood blocks will work great. The 40# motor was able to push 3 of us into the wind and a pretty strong incoming tide, not super fast mind you, maybe 2 knots, but then we were scooting along pretty fast with the wind. We rode around for about an hour on the top speed (5 out of 5) and the batter was only down to around 80% so it all seems pretty good!

Outstanding! Sailing is best, but getting out to where you can sail successfully is critical and these little electric motors have served amazingly well.

I have a Minkota 30, I keep the battery in the cubby and used heavy duty bumper cables which run from cubby to motor mounted on the transom. I used proper connections at the battery, and a plug at the motor. Simple and has been trouble free.
Barry
Likewise I have the same motor. Initially built a nice little box just inside the cuddy with wing nutted lid, circuit breaker, gauge showing the % of charge, and plug in the back of the cockpit close to the motor. Battery is the Odyssey 680, smallest size they make. Easy to handle at the expense of lower running time. Fine for about 80% of what I do, but it would be nice to have more juice for bigger lakes or windy days. I like the motor for the ability it gives to deal with traffic when docking or hoisting / lowering sails. I had slugs installed in my main (as well as reef points) so I can motor out with sail tied to the boom and do the rest while underway. Got a tiller tender which locks it in place so I can leave the helm. And on calm days I'm going to have a canopy made that could go across the boom for sun protection. Then I could do a lazy motor excursion. So the solution was to make provisions for a second 680 battery, run in series with the first. Now I have the capacity to run the Minkota at power level 2 for 2.5 hours before batteries in series show low charge on my gauge. That equated to 20% left on them as shown on my charging unit. If anybody's interested I could send some pics.......

Just bought a 14.2 Capri and planning to add a Newport vessel kayak series 36 lbs. trust engine on it. the shaft is 24". Is that enough or should I go for a 30"?
Thanks for the replies.

Chris

For prop the deeper under the water the better. When under sail I raise it up 100% and turn sideways, then it clears everything. My Minkota is the smallest they make, very lightweight and easy to handle. Pushes Capri very well indeed.

Hi Aqua - so on the canopy over the boom idea, what is holding the boom horizontal under that weight? Thanks!
What I have in mind is a few lightweight (PVC?) transverse rods spanning the width of the boat that would support an also lightweight opaque fabric (white) and have grommets placed as needed to tie down to the two rear mooring cleats plus a few strategically drilled holes receiving the tie downs as needed. They could be small sized, the line doesn't have to be too thick. Run the canopy the length of the boom. As far as support goes, I currently use my Boomkicker to keep mast up while motoring. It's a bit springy so I'll clip to main halyard to the rear of boom and hoist up a bit. Then you can tighten down on the mainsheet and the boom becomes very solid indeed. I'll be relocating to St. Louis next year. Their mid-summers are super hot with dead winds. On those lazy days I would do slow motor trips around my medium sized lake and put up the canopy. Would not even plan on putting up the sails on days like that. And I have a nice swim ladder so I can drop anchor in the middle and jump in as needed. Adapt!!

Just bought a 14.2 Capri and planning to add a Newport vessel kayak series 36 lbs. trust engine on it. the shaft is 24". Is that enough or should I go for a 30"?
Thanks for the replies.

Chris
Hi Emerald Isle Sailor,

I assume that is NC? I live/sail down in Beaufort, we should go out sometime if you live around Emerald Isle all the time and are looking for sailing partners! As for your motor question, if you have a motor mount that is lower than the transom and far enough out from the hull that it won't touch you may be fine. I have a 30" Minn Kota that just clamp onto the transom and mine barely fits under the hull of the boat. I would be afraid to go an inch shorter. Also mine comes pretty close to coming out of the water if I'm in big waves or get hit by a big boats wake. Overall has worked great though.

Not best practice to clamp it onto the transom but I just add some wood planks to distribute the load and it has been great and super easy for me for dozens of sails and motoring sessions. Interested to hear about your favorite sailing spots around EI!

Also if you're in Emerald Isle, NC as I suspect you are, I would advise not to go lower than the 36#. I have a 40# and in a strong tide or big waves as we get around the OBX, especially with 2-3 people, I am just barely able to push into the tide/waves/wind. I think you'll be fine ~36# but I just wouldn't go lower.

CLIFgray. Its now 2020. How is the transom holding up with your simple wood distribution tecnique. About do that myself with Minn Kota C2 30lb thrust 30inch shaft. Ill probably also add some rubber sheeting on transom side as well to pad the pressure. I have a Mod 1.

Yep the Mod 1 has a flimsy hollow transom indeed. Definately suggest cutting two access holes in the seat areas (close to transom) and inserting 5" high pieces of 1/2" marine grade plywood which you then secure with adhesive to the inner part of transom. Make pieces as long as possible for fitting inside. Then you plug the access openings with Deckson cover plates. Another advantage is they provide an insert bag, super handy for storage while underway.

Compliment on the outside with the 1/2" melamine plates which then gives solid surfaces to through bolt for your motor mount. Strongly suggest ordering through Catalina for the mount, it works well with a trolling motor. I'm not too keen on gas versions, noise, vibration, pollution, etc. Not allowed on many small lakes.

Also you can do the same reinforcement for a boarding ladder. I did and it's golden. Strong enough to haul my 195 lb butt out of the lake! If I ever get time to figure out how to attach my pics that will give a better look to to how I did all of this......

Cheers!

OK what ended up coming through here was the pics showing how I reinforced the flimsy transom on my Mod 1. Only thing missing is a shot of the inside reinforcement stuff, it was on a PDF and wouldn't convert. If I had a Mod 2 the transom was solid, would have made life a lot easier!

Pardon my duplicate pics as I'm in the infant stages of doing this. Now I just figured out how to convert this shot of the inside of transom, see where the plywood strips complete the sandwich that can be through bolted.

@aquaman: Thank you so much for this, still on the fence about cutting into the boat for my small electric motor, but if I do your resources help immensely.

Question: Did you pre drill and run the large single bolts that face the inside of the boat (that appear on the natural wood grain panels) as the LAST step? Do those bolts pass all the way thru the the motor mount AND the boat or do those bolts only affix inside the transom to your inserts?

Hey folks. While the recommended reinforcing is certainly a better approach, after a year and may 20 trips using the minn kota for extended periods, sometimes 2+ hours on full power, my transom is holding up fine and actually doesn't show any signs of wear or tear. I was hesitant to do any permanent work and I am happy with my temporary plywood approach. My main suggestion would be to get an additional clamp to hold on the wood in addition to the motor itself holding it because once or twice when I adjust the minn kota (e.g. tilting it up out of the water) the wood has fallen off into the water because the clamp force changed with the change in weight distribution.

It is certainly not the most professional approach but it is super easy and has served my purposes well over the last year on lots of fun sailing trips here around the Outer Banks.

10-4 on the Minkota but hauling my 195 lb butt out of the water with the boarding ladder would have put some terrible point loads on the fiberglass. Figured as long as I was doing that heavy duty should also do the motor mount. And the offset of that mount probably increases transom loading also.
The waterproof storage provided by the bags that hang inside the Deckson plates (needed to access the inner transom) are golden for various small things.
As far as how I drilled the holes for through bolting, it was all one operation through the complete "sandwich". Went from the outside in, started with small pilot hole to verify what was happening at the other end, also made it better for the larger hole to follow the path. I forget the sizes of the bolts, use your better judgement for that. Also be sure they're stainless.........

Nice stuff @aquaman thanks for sharing all the photos!

One last comment for @RootsRockData and posterity. It is worth noting, at least here on the Outer Banks where the tide and wind can be quite strong, I've found my 40# thrust motor is sometimes just barely sufficient and once or twice has been unable to effectively push my boat with just two 135lb sailors and all sails down and tied. Once it ended up being a bit sketchy as I was in a narrow channel (the Beaufort Harbor Channel) going into the wind and tide on a busy day with many other boats swerving around us and my boat chugging along at about 1 meter per minute (not a joke I couldn't even tell the boat was moving when looking at the nearby shore). I ended up needing to quickly hoist both sails and madly tack back and forth through traffic to avoid getting forced into a destroyed pier from Hurricane Florence and probably would've been safer just taking off from the docks with the sails up so things weren't so unexpected.

Anyway I think for most cases it will be sufficient and I get a long time out of my deep cycle battery, but I wish I had a bit stronger motor and would certainly shell out for a 55# or stronger if I could do it again.

2 hp would be more than adequate for the 14.2 . heck, you could probably ski behind that ;) I'm not familiar with the particular motor you mention, but weight is a always a concideration on a boat this light. it's so easy to move through the water that even the smallest motor will propel it very well. I'm not a fan of any gas powered units for the Capri however, due to the vibration imparted on the light weight, and generally hollow, transom, the hassle and pollution factor of the fuel, the weight, etc. If you plan to do a LOT of motoring, then the gas may be best for you, but in most cases you'll just use it a couple minutes each day to get on and off the dock, wile the rest of the day you're just dragging it along with you for the ride, so smaller and lighter is almost always better. For my money, we picked up a lightly used MinnKota 30 for $50.00 and an Odyssey pc680 battery. the Odyssey is fully sealed and could be mounted upside down without leaking or negatively affecting it in any way. I did have one occasion to need it to get us back to the dock from far across the lake last summer, and it made the 2-2.5 mile voyage to within a few hundred feet of the dock before it began seriously slowing down due to low charge. those batteries are made to be drawn down over and over again, so it's no worse for wear after a quick recharge.

Russ
I know this is a fairly older post but hopefully it is still active. I purchased a 1085 mod 1 last year for freshwater lake. The boat ramp is really hard to launch a sail boat from so I wanted to add the Minn Kota 30 as suggest. What size shaft should i consider? Also since i have a hollow tanscom any recommendations on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated. Think about adding a solar panel for recharging also. Anyone done this? TIA

I know this is a fairly older post but hopefully it is still active. I purchased a 1085 mod 1 last year for freshwater lake. The boat ramp is really hard to launch a sail boat from so I wanted to add the Minn Kota 30 as suggest. What size shaft should i consider? Also since i have a hollow tanscom any recommendations on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated. Think about adding a solar panel for recharging also. Anyone done this? TIA

Style: Endura C2 30

That's the one I bought years ago and it's still happy. Listing says 30" shaft.

@clifgray - heck of a story on the tide and wind. I will be sailing on Colorado lakes where tide will never be a factor, only wind, so I think I should be good. The 30 is already here so thats what I am going to run, I only spent $99.00 so upgrading could be in the cards if I need more juice. So excited to try it this weekend.

@SirDonavin - Conclusion here from two other Mod1 owners is to use some wood blocks on each side of the transom where the motor mounts to the boat to disperse some stress, two others here have been running that setup without cutting into the boat or reinforcing without issue. Also from what I have read 30" shaft should do it but most wouldn't go shorter.

If you don't want to reinforce, the photos above by @aquaman seem very handy.

The thing to remember about more power for the trolling motor means more demand from the battery. I opted not to use a huge one to get that extra power. See my setup which allows for the easy to handle Odyssey unit, one is good enough for most conditions. I'm mainly looking to power to/from dock and hoist/lower sails. Now if there's a plan for extended slow cruising on windless days or being out on a large lake I added a second in series. That helps a lot. Granted a 2 HP gas motor would power through a lot more, but then you can't use it on certain lakes. And there's also the noise,vibration, fumes, and gas to deal with. And see the pic of my stern with motor all the way down, it's plenty deep for good control. When sailing I raise it straight up and pivot sideways, then it's totally out of the way. But I have the offset mount, can't imagine how this would all work if you're clamped directly to the stern......
Now i'm struggling to get the pics downloaded, will have to close and try it another way.....

Style: Endura C2 30

That's the one I bought years ago and it's still happy. Listing says 30" shaft.
I have this exact motor as well - we don't go very fast but with a tiller tamer I can confidently hoist my own sails into the wind. I have a Catalina direct factory motor mount, and felt it needed plywood reinforcement. I also felt that I needed a sturdy place to store my sailing juice. 2 birds, one transom reinforcement beer holder.
_JHK6994.JPG

Re: ladder on Capri 14.2. There is no need to cut port holes, or access holes, in a Capri Inorder to add a ladder. It can be done by simply by bolting thru, using expanding foam, and bracing plates. The less holes the better, and the smaller holes the better.
Bdh333

What role does the expanding foam play? Is it strong enough to minimize the bending of the fiberglass under load, as wood would?

I have this exact motor as well - we don't go very fast but with a tiller tamer I can confidently hoist my own sails into the wind. I have a Catalina direct factory motor mount, and felt it needed plywood reinforcement. I also felt that I needed a sturdy place to store my sailing juice. 2 birds, one transom reinforcement beer holder.View attachment 38244
Great idea! I just purchased the same mount for a Mod 2 (yr2000). My mount from CD has 3/ea side (total 6) bolts for the transom. I noticed you only have 2/ea side? Did you mount have 6 bolts for the transom?

I have a year 2000 (Mod 2?) and I bought a motor mount from CD. I'm not comfortable drilling holes in the transom. Anyone know who in So Cal would do this small job?

Back