Small outboard motors on Capri 14.2

I fabricated the battery bracket myself, out of 20 gauge sheet metal.
I'm sure the 36lb motor would be great for the 14.2, but I've found the 30 is more than enough power for me. the 30 has 5 forward speeds and I generally use #4. if you look at the amp draw in each speed, it really goes up when you put it in 5th. the one time I used the motor to get back to the ramp from across the lake the battery lasted almost an hour of steady use.

Russ
Sorry, I meant to say, battery bracket. Don't know what I was thinking??

Sorry, I meant to say, battery bracket. Don't know what I was thinking??
Brand new to forum here, just purchased a sweet 14.2 mod 2. Looking at doing a trolling motor with your battery set-up. Looks from your pic like you have to unscrew the rudder mounts to get the battery out; how does that work? Also wondering how the battery does getting a little wet. Also, I am thinking about your ladder but a little reluctant to cut the access port required for strengthening the mounts in the transom. I notice you are from SW Oregon. I live in Waldport but will be sailing mostly on Crescent lake and other lakes in central Oregon. I like what you have done with your boat and wish I was a little more handy as I will have to have the battery mount fabricated by a sheet metal shop. I appreciate your postings and look forward to learning a lot on this forum.

Last edited:
Two bolts must be removed in order to remove the battery, but I'd only do that if I was replacing it, as it gets charged in the boat, etc. the battery is sealed and waterproof/spill-proof etc. zero maintenance.
Or you could just buy my boat from me ;) . I purchased another boat two days ago to replace the 14.2 and will be selling the 14.2 pretty soon. kinda hate to, as I've just gotten everything replaced or repaired. it even has both brand new sails that I ordered before deciding to buy a full keel boat, and it was to late to cancel the sail order. [shrug] that's life. We're getting too old to swim for our lives and the wife is too skinny after cancer recovery to provide much ballast, so I bought a Victoria 18 with full keel for when we day sail.

Russ, thanks for getting back to me so soon. Your boat for sale offer sounds great but I just bought one last week. In is about a 1991 and has been in two garages for just about its whole like. Everything is spanking new, not a mark on it, and sails are crisp; not bad for 25 years. I have not sailed in a few years but I have owned a Sunfish, a Windrider and a Hobie 16 so I am pretty well schooled in going over in various ways, especially with the Hobie. I am almost 65 but I have a few swims left in me. Hope you get your 14.2 sold and get what you want. I would love to talk about your 14.2 and learn from your knowledge you have gained in it's ownership. I too am a Survivor so wish your wife well for me. Take care, Rick

Thanks Rick. I'll still get messages on this forum even after I sell the 14.2, so if I can be of any assist just hollar away. always glad to help a fellow sailor if I can.

Two thumbs up for surviving.

I'm sure all the forum community have tossed this around before, however, I'm new to this. I would like to ask for the most recent opinions and advice on getting a small motor to have with my boat for times when the wind just leave you floating still. I have read somewhere that the torque from an electric motor can put tremendous strain on the transom and even damage it. Is that true? I have also read through all the various methods for securing a large battery for the motor as well. Personally, I don't care for the idea of attaching a large cage type battery carrier on the back of the boat so I would be very open to opinions about other suggestions as well. I am also very attracted towards the 4 cycle 2 hp motor offered by Island Hopper Outboards as it is very light weight and has its own gas tank built in it. I would hope that some of you can give me some feedback on that model. Again, is it healthy for the boat to attach that type of motor to the transom of a Capri 14.2? Also, is a 2 hp engine strong enough to move that size boat? (not looking for speed - propulsion to get back to the wind or reach the other side of a lake to get home) I would appreciate any and all input you would have to offer. Thank you.

Tom
I use a Torqueedo electric motor. The removable battery is built into the motor so no wires or mounting required. It has more than enough juice to get you where you need to go with it without wind.

I use a Torqueedo electric motor. The removable battery is built into the motor so no wires or mounting required. It has more than enough juice to get you where you need to go with it without wind.
I use a 30lb, Minn Kota electric motor, 12 volt battery whichisin the cubby and modified auto jumper cables to connect the two. Battery weight in the bow helps balance the boat. Bdh333

Re: ladder on Capri 14.2. There is no need to cut port holes, or access holes, in a Capri Inorder to add a ladder. It can be done by simply by bolting thru, using expanding foam, and bracing plates. The less holes the better, and the smaller holes the better.
Bdh333

Bdh333: how do you secure your battery in the cuddy? I've lost 2 batteries to capsizing so I want to not have to buy a fourth one :)

I've been thinking that with my Mod 2 boat, screwing in drawer slides and builing a custom drawer to slide in and out, that I can secure it and my anchor in. Plus hold fenders and so on...

You've gotten plenty of advice about the MinnKota 30 and I figured I'd throw up some pictures of ours since I didn't see any yet. It's completely easy to pop on and off, settles up in the cuddy on a pile of bumpers and extra life jackets to keep it from banging around when we're full up sailing and it's completely gold for getting around harbors, out of channels, cruising lighted boat parades, or straight upwind to the boat ramp when you need it.

We use reasonably small 35AH batteries that get us 2-3 hours on speeds 1-3 and 1.5-2 hours on speeds 4-5. It's no speed racer but it's valuable quite easy propulsion when you need it.

We used to simply drag the little 35AH battery out and hook it up but we eventually picked up a MinnKota Power Center because it incorporates the reset-able breakers and two accessory plugs for lights, power inverter, USB plugs to charge phones etc etc, and most importantly it has indicator lights for charge status on the battery. It's been fantastic! The Power Center is even big enough for a larger 115AH battery but that would be heavier and we've never needed the extra power so we just use the extra space in the box for the charger, adapter plugs, etc. The Power Center is right down by Tammy's feet in the picture and it tucks into the front cuddy with the motor as well if you want it out of the way.

It's great stuff that opens up all sorts of new exploring opportunities, don't wait!

View attachment 18827 View attachment 18828 View attachment 18829 View attachment 18830
@Pirate & Scooter it has been a while since your post but this is exactly what I aim planning to do. It looks to me like your motor is just attached straight to the fiberglass, how has this worked for you? Any damage?

And when you put that battery power center up into the cuddy do you fasten it down or does it bang around while sailing?

Thanks!
Patrick

@Pirate & Scooter it has been a while since your post but this is exactly what I aim planning to do. It looks to me like your motor is just attached straight to the fiberglass, how has this worked for you? Any damage?

And when you put that battery power center up into the cuddy do you fasten it down or does it bang around while sailing?

Thanks!
Patrick
I do just use the standard motor vice screws to hold it onto the fiberglass and hadn't had any damage for a couple years until I got myself into a wacky windy mess where I should have had the sails down before I set up the motor (but the plan was to use the motor to stay into the wind to drop the sails... long painful story... ) I was getting spun around, motor slid up sideways and scratched out a dime size chunk of glass blah blah blah... shouldn't have happened but that's the only damage and it was pretty much my fault. A purest would probably put a small wood chunk between the boat and screws but the surface area was always large enough I didn't have damage so I didn't bother.

I do just stuff the batter center up in the cuddy, but I have plenty of stuff up there... and oar, extra cushions for when we beach, boat bumpers that I use to roll up beaches etc. So I'm actually setting the center up out of any sloshing water (which is minimal) and it's braced by all the other stuff so it's not banging and flailing on it's own. Works great. I stuff the motor up there as well if you hadn't thought of that.. you will want it out of the way in good wind. I put it in prop first then there's a swing maneuver that gets the handle in. The battery center goes in last.

I can send pics sometime if you can visualize the functional mess up there.

Pirate & Mermaid

I do just use the standard motor vice screws to hold it onto the fiberglass and hadn't had any damage for a couple years.

I do just stuff the batter center up in the cuddy, but I have plenty of stuff up there... and oar, extra cushions for when we beach, boat bumpers that I use to roll up beaches etc. So I'm actually setting the center up out of any sloshing water (which is minimal) and it's braced by all the other stuff so it's not banging and flailing on it's own. Works great. I stuff the motor up there as well if you hadn't thought of that.. you will want it out of the way in good wind. I put it in prop first then there's a swing maneuver that gets the handle in. The battery center goes in last.

I can send pics sometime if you can visualize the functional mess up there.
Awesome thanks for the info! I ended up getting a nice new 40# Minn Kota saltwater motor this afternoon. Also bought the Minn Kota power center battery holder and a 100 Ah Group 29 battery deep cycle marine lead acid battery. So I should be set for some long days out on the water sailing and trolling around!

Two questions for you:
-My transom is hollow and I have a hard time imagining that those clamps won't wreck it, even if I put some wood in between the planks to distribute the load. Do you know if your transom is hollow? Does it flex much? I can make it flex with just medium pressure from my hand.
-Have you capsized with your battery/motor up there? I'm pretty certain I'll be doing some capsizing over the summer and am afraid of the damage both to the cuddy and to the battery/motor...

Thanks!!

Awesome thanks for the info! I ended up getting a nice new 40# Minn Kota saltwater motor this afternoon. Also bought the Minn Kota power center battery holder and a 100 Ah Group 29 battery deep cycle marine lead acid battery. So I should be set for some long days out on the water sailing and trolling around!

Two questions for you:
-My transom is hollow and I have a hard time imagining that those clamps won't wreck it, even if I put some wood in between the planks to distribute the load. Do you know if your transom is hollow? Does it flex much? I can make it flex with just medium pressure from my hand.
-Have you capsized with your battery/motor up there? I'm pretty certain I'll be doing some capsizing over the summer and am afraid of the damage both to the cuddy and to the battery/motor...

Thanks!!
Transom flexes but hasn't cracked or anything in all the years I've motored. Your making me feel guilty enough to add in a slice of marine plywood (plastic) for protection but no, never had damage beyond that windy wild spin that ended up twisting/scraping/chipping that small piece that I still need to epoxy over.

As for capsized issues, that's why you need to stuff things up in cuddy with real or squirrelly wind. Last time I capsized this boat was 1992 on Lake Michigan so I'm not that worried about it but I know I'd lose the power center and possibly the motor since they're not strapped down beyond the motor clamps.

You just made me think of why I have no damage from the clamps and why it flipped off the transom in the fast tack that one time... I don't really clamp it down absurdly hard. When I'm motoring I usually raise the rudder and center the motor up close to the rudder/center on the port side and I haven't had to tighten it down to where the transom flexes or bends to keep it stable. Again, I have a 30, don't know how much bigger/heavier the 40 is, but if you only clamp for stability not solidity you should be fine.

Hahah I have another friend telling me that I shouldn't go out without the Catalina Direct factory mount or else I will destroy my transom! Such different opinions. Well I'm going to take your route and go out today with a couple wood planks and the motor just sitting on the transom. Will report back.

Thanks for all the helpful advice!!

Fascinated to hear how it goes... I have a minor Sunfish fiberglass touch up to do tomorrow so all this transom talk has shamed me into touching up the Capri as well. The only damage I'd gotten from mounting the motor was that chip from the spin three years ago (and I should have just filled it in then, but hey, if you can just go sail...)