What's new

Scorpion sailboat

Speaking of drains. I hosed the boat down and noticed that the tub holds water well.

View attachment 45739

Is this correct behavior when the boat is sitting in the yard or do I need to fix or replace the Bailer system?

Henny
On my scorpion, the drain did not seem to unscrew. I was able to turn it back and forth until it popped out a bit. Once I did that the water ran right through the bailer onto my other boat below.

HennyG

On my scorpion, the drain did not seem to unscrew. I was able to turn it back and forth until it popped out a bit. Once I did that the water ran right through the bailer onto my other boat below.
[/QUOT
I will try to work it. I can get it to turn and go up and down a little bit, however the water does not come out at all. Makes for I nice little tub.

L&VW

I will try to work it. I can get it to turn and go up and down a little bit, however the water does not come out at all. Makes for I nice little tub.
Is this bailer made of metal? The later metal models have the center pull up to drain. The center can also be removed entirely. Try that...

I'd flush with gentle garden-hose pressure in both directions--keeping in mind that a slow-draining bailer "trumps" having to rebuild one! ;)

HennyG

Is this bailer made of metal? The later metal models have the center pull up to drain. The center can also be removed entirely. Try that...

I'd flush with gentle garden-hose pressure in both directions--keeping in mind that a slow-draining bailer "trumps" having to rebuild one! ;)
It is a metal drainer. I will try to pull it up since turning it counter clockwise didn't seem to have a effect. With it closed I can't really probe it from the top but I can try from underneath.

If it is functioning, is it supposed to drain at all in the down position, or only when it is popped up?

L&VW

Draining (or "bailing") is accomplished by pulling the aluminum knob upwards about one inch. More pulling will remove it for maintenance or operating at "full-drain". It shouldn't drip when snapped shut. It could need replacement seals, which may need to be "matched-up" at a good hardware store.

Those metal Sunfish bailers are all 40+ years old, long discontinued, and every aluminum fitting is subject to corrosion--worse in salt water--or even near salt water! :confused:

The "freeze-plug" solution is "uncool" :rolleyes: but works every time and, if lost to misadventure, its replacement costs less than $6. :cool:

L&VW

Newer models of metal De Persia bailers are of the pop-up type. Unscrew or pull up to drain. If stuck, great patience must be endured, along with multiple treatments of PB Blaster, Kroll, Marvel Mystery Oil, CRC products, or Rust-Bust. ,
On my list of desirable anti-corrosives, I'd misspelled Kroil. :oops:

Broke out the pressure washer today. A long-term project of loosening a huge, but frozen, adjustable wrench got a zap from the pressure washer. Some unfamiliar glop came out. :(

I think this may be a valuable part in thawing frozen De Persia bailers, too. :) Alternate anti-corrosives in between shots.

Give it a try. :cool: