Question for wooden Fish….

Mama H Chicago

Mother of sailboats
Received this message from Woodie’s owner, who has found a Michigan craftsman to finish her up.

“I have a friend here who is a naval architect, who believes that the boat will be much stronger if the frames are epoxied to the top and bottom panels, although defers to anyone with more knowledge of the Sailfish. If the frames were intended to mate with the bottom skins, they are undersized, and we’d need to shim it up.
———Could you query your ‘fish community to see if there is a reason NOT to epoxy the frames both to the deck and bottom skins?”———

I’ve previously passed on the instruction to NOT attach the stations to the hull or the deck, rather those should be attached to the Longerons and Gunwales. I just checked, and the kit build instructions from the SuperSailfish actually state that only the HULL stations not be connected to the hull. Lesson learned there…

So, beyond my understanding that the reason for the gap is water flow related, if the builder where to shim up the stations somehow, and attach them to the hull plankings (with a few mouse holes cut through for drainage) would that be a bad idea?

Solution
How would they even epoxy all that and close up the hull?
I think they were considering somehow building up the stations? My understanding is the craftsman is an accomplished woodworker but not necessarily a boatbuilder.

In hindsight, I really wish I had just asked for more time and completed the restoration. I know i personally wouldn’t want to finish someone else’s project, and I’m happy that the owner found someone to take it on, but now that my health is better, it would be a not difficult project to finish up in a week.
Al and Cort were not Naval Architects, and they built mighty fine boats. Yes, it would be stronger but it is not needed, adds weight. Adding double the number of frames and making them out of metal would make the boat stronger, etc...but how about respecting the simplicity and total functionality of the design?

A boat that rots from water trapped inside is not strong.

Al and Cort were not Naval Architects, and they built mighty fine boats. Yes, it would be stronger but it is not needed, adds weight. Adding double the number of frames and making them out of metal would make the boat stronger, etc...but how about respecting the simplicity and total functionality of the design?

A boat that rots from water trapped inside is not strong.
Thanks Kent.

How would they even epoxy all that and close up the hull?
I think they were considering somehow building up the stations? My understanding is the craftsman is an accomplished woodworker but not necessarily a boatbuilder.

In hindsight, I really wish I had just asked for more time and completed the restoration. I know i personally wouldn’t want to finish someone else’s project, and I’m happy that the owner found someone to take it on, but now that my health is better, it would be a not difficult project to finish up in a week.

Solution

Back