Question Old Mahogany Rudder

P_H_test

Hello, Everyone

I am new here, looking for some advice.

The rudder on my Alcort Sunfish (year unknown) snapped on my last sail. It went clean through in the direction of the grain and needs replacing. The cheek plate and all other hardware are fine. It is just the rudder blade.

I want to buy a new one (synthetic perhaps). My best guess is that the boat is a 1972. Considering the age, I am worried about buying a rudder that is compatible with the existing hardware.

Anyone have an opinion on the matter?

Thanks for your time,

- Patrick

Let's first identify if you have an old style rudder (bronze hardware) or the new style (aluminum and stainless). 1972-1/2 is when the new style rudder came to be. Post a photo. Your rudder blade may still be repairable even split. Some pins and epoxy might be all you need. Otherwise, I sell rudder blades, used and new.

Excellent news.

Attached is a picture of the rig before the break. The split is along the grain between the pin holding the spring and the cheek plate.

Attachments

• IMG_5623.jpg
    IMG_5623.jpg
    817.6 KB · Views: 76
As sailcrafti says easy fix. When pulling the tiller from the handle it can snap and split.
1) Tiller or otherwise:

2) Easy fix. Just match-up the grain perfectly and use epoxy or Thixo to bond together. You'll need clamping skills...

If you're a woodworker:

Thank you, everyone for the help. I will try to biscuit join it and with epoxy. I have never tried to biscuit join along a broken grain like that but you have all emboldened me to try it. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Thanks again

Be sure to use thickened epoxy, as straight epoxy tends to run out of the repair area. One brand is TotalBoat THIXO OR THIXO Flex. This is our link if you'd like a 5% discount. Also there is Pettit Flexpoxy, and West System sells a thickened system.

Thickened epoxy takes minimal clamping, just enough to where you see epoxy start to squeeze out of the joint. We like to put a thin coat on both faying surfaces, spread out with a paint stir stick. Don't be in a hurry to wipe away any excess squeezeout, as sometimes the epoxy slowly absorbs into dry wood like your rudder and the squeezeout gets sucked back into the joint.

Back