New Sunfish

Thread starter #22
The sail has a tag that says "Made in China" so that seems telling... also just saw this blue tag says "fee paid". Wish that was my California "use tax" that I expect to be charged upon registration.

Thanks NorCal! The CN indicates China. The British boats start with GB. The British boats also come with either Chinese or Sri Lankan made sails. The fee paid is to World Sailing, as Sunfish is a World Sailing recognized class - thus we get to hold World Championships, are eligible to participate in the Pan Am games, etc.

Thread starter #26
Thanks NorCal! The CN indicates China. The British boats start with GB. The British boats also come with either Chinese or Sri Lankan made sails. The fee paid is to World Sailing, as Sunfish is a World Sailing recognized class - thus we get to hold World Championships, are eligible to participate in the Pan Am games, etc.
I was thinking the "CN' might indicate China-thanks for the info!

I believe recreation sail production has moved to a loft LP found in China. They had a test racing sail from China in use at the NAs. It looked fine but don’t know how it performs. The sails to be provided at the worlds this fall will be from North.

Ghost Rider

Planing into eternity...
Hey, Norcalsail, seeing your new boat inspired me to check the boat ads on C/L, LOL... my boat won't be new when I buy it, but that's okay, as long as she's in good shape. Saw a C-15 on a trailer for under a grand, probably get it for $900 or so... nothing wrong with a Coronado 15, but it can be a bit much for a solo sailor. Saw a fairly beat-up Laser on a trailer, but the owners were asking $2800... they must have been high on crack. Found two Lido 14s in the Portland C/L ads, both on trailers, one good-looking boat for $2000, the other beat to hell at $750. Coolest find was an old wooden staysail schooner from an Alden design, that bad girl was awesome, but ya gotta be well-off to keep a boat like that, the maintenance alone doesn't come cheap... plus you're a slave to varnish in every spare moment, LOL. :eek:

I thought about buying a nice boat and living aboard, but it wouldn't be fair to the kittehs, and I gotta have my pool table as well... meh, I can go the landlubber route and still sail small craft, no worries. Out of all these choices, I'd probably go with the C-15 for under a grand or the better Lido 14 for under two grand... I expect to make some new friends when I relocate, I can always put 'em to work helping me launch the boat, LOL. That C-15 transom can be reinforced to take a small outboard, temporarily converting the boat to a fishing vessel... leave the rig at home and just take the hull, motor, fuel tank or can, etc. A friend and I did that with a C-15 in Dago, makes for a decent little runabout or fishing skiff without the rig in the way, pretty comfortable too with plenty of room for gear, beer cooler, and whatnot. :rolleyes:

JUST WANTED YOU TO KNOW THAT YOUR BOAT PURCHASE HAS CREATED A RIPPLE EFFECT, LOL... SEE WHAT YOU'VE DONE?!?!? ;)

P.S. Oh, yeah, for any J/24 sailors interested (I know there's a separate forum here for y'all), that J/36 (with Kevlar sails) is in the Seattle C/L ads, the boat actually berthed in Bellingham up north. Just figured I'd mention it, ya don't see those every day. :cool:

Last edited:
Thread starter #32
Hey, Norcalsail, seeing your new boat inspired me to check the boat ads on C/L, LOL... my boat won't be new when I buy it, but that's okay, as long as she's in good shape. Saw a C-15 on a trailer for under a grand, probably get it for $900 or so... nothing wrong with a Coronado 15, but it can be a bit much for a solo sailor. Saw a fairly beat-up Laser on a trailer, but the owners were asking $2800... they must have been high on crack. Found two Lido 14s in the Portland C/L ads, both on trailers, one good-looking boat for $2000, the other beat to hell at $750. Coolest find was an old wooden staysail schooner from an Alden design, that bad girl was awesome, but ya gotta be well-off to keep a boat like that, the maintenance alone doesn't come cheap... plus you're a slave to varnish in every spare moment, LOL. :eek:

I thought about buying a nice boat and living aboard, but it wouldn't be fair to the kittehs, and I gotta have my pool table as well... meh, I can go the landlubber route and still sail small craft, no worries. Out of all these choices, I'd probably go with the C-15 for under a grand or the better Lido 14 for under two grand... I expect to make some new friends when I relocate, I can always put 'em to work helping me launch the boat, LOL. That C-15 transom can be reinforced to take a small outboard, temporarily converting the boat to a fishing vessel... leave the rig at home and just take the hull, motor, fuel tank or can, etc. A friend and I did that with a C-15 in Dago, makes for a decent little runabout or fishing skiff without the rig in the way, pretty comfortable too with plenty of room for gear, beer cooler, and whatnot. :rolleyes:

JUST WANTED YOU TO KNOW THAT YOUR BOAT PURCHASE HAS CREATED A RIPPLE EFFECT, LOL... SEE WHAT YOU'VE DONE?!?!? ;)

P.S. Oh, yeah, for any J/24 sailors interested (I know there's a separate forum here for y'all), that J/36 (with Kevlar sails) is in the Seattle C/L ads, the boat actually berthed in Bellingham up north. Just figured I'd mention it, ya don't see those every day. :cool:
Hey Ghost Rider, very interesting, I'm afraid I don't know too much about other boats but would like to see the pics of anything you get. I've got to get the new one registered and have an invoice but no actual Bill of Sale. Sent an email inquiring but haven't heard back. Be cool to see what you find!

Thread starter #33
Pretty sure this is not a UK built Sunfish. If it was I would be extra jealous. :^) It is a beautiful boat. Nice looking cat too.
Hey Dickhogg, Seems it's from China. Is there much of a difference? I really like the color combo...oh yeah, the cat has to be involved in everything! Thanks, Phil

Hey Dickhogg, Seems it's from China. Is there much of a difference? I really like the color combo...oh yeah, the cat has to be involved in everything! Thanks, Phil
Hey. (Sorry. I deleted my post after I realised there was a whole other page of posts confirming it as from China) From what folk have been saying the GB boats are "Ice Blue". I have seen the new lasers in this colour and I think what you have is a much nicer colour. I love the red cockpit. Sail is great too. Enjoy sailing it!

Thread starter #35
Hey. (Sorry. I deleted my post after I realised there was a whole other page of posts confirming it as from China) From what folk have been saying the GB boats are "Ice Blue". I have seen the new lasers in this colour and I think what you have is a much nicer colour. I love the red cockpit. Sail is great too. Enjoy sailing it!
I have a history of buying things based on looks and color. Mostly OK purchases but sometimes not...HA ha. Really great to have a new, clean Sunfish, can't wait to get it on the water-Phil

Ghost Rider

Planing into eternity...
Hey Ghost Rider, very interesting, I'm afraid I don't know too much about other boats but would like to see the pics of anything you get. I've got to get the new one registered and have an invoice but no actual Bill of Sale. Sent an email inquiring but haven't heard back. Be cool to see what you find!
Oh, yeah, that rigmarole... I went through that after buying a Chinese ThumpStar pit bike online, no title, just an invoice, had to pay tax and fill out some bull$h!t forms just to get an OHV sticker, go figure. Be prepared for a similar runaround, just don't lose your temper, it'll only delay matters, LOL. In some states, any sailboat under a certain length does NOT need to be registered, can't remember if CA has such a rule, I always registered mine anyway because they didn't cost that much and I didn't wanna get hassled by waterborne revenue collectors. Had no paperwork whatsoever for the Minifish when I bought it, had to register it as a "home-built boat" just to get a sticker, pffffft. Meh, I built the glass repair on it, so WTF... sometimes these damned bureaucrats find the most ridiculous reasons to aggravate taxpayers, LOL. :confused:

Last edited:
Thread starter #37
Oh, yeah, that rigmarole... I went through that after buying a Chinese ThumpStar pit bike online, no title, just an invoice, had to pay tax and fill out some bull$h!t forms just to get an OHV sticker, go figure. Be prepared for a similar runaround, just don't lose your temper, it'll only delay matters, LOL. In some states, any sailboat under a certain length does NOT need to be registered, can't remember if CA has such a rule, I always registered mine anyway because they didn't cost that much and I didn't wanna get hassled by waterborne revenue collectors. Had no paperwork whatsoever for the Minifish when I bought it, had to register it as a "home-built boat" just to get a sticker, pffffft. Meh, I built the glass repair on it, so WTF... sometimes these damned bureaucrats find the most ridiculous reasons to aggravate taxpayers, LOL. :confused:
In California, sailboats over 8 feet need registration. The outfit I purchased from will do everything officially I'm betting. Haven't heard from them yet gotta say!

Ghost Rider

Planing into eternity...
Now that I think of it, I had to mail one of those DMV forms to the vendor in PA for some info and a signature, it was a PITA but I was in no hurry, yeah? I had another bike already registered, you understand. Took me something like three trips to finally get a green OHV sticker for the pit bike. Here in AZ, the DMV is actually called the MVD... everything is @$$-backward here, and of course there has to be some VD involved, LOL. :eek:

P.S. Fish & Game Dept. in AZ is known as Game & Fish... guess they rank the critters by size, LOL. :rolleyes:

Thread starter #39
Now that I think of it, I had to mail one of those DMV forms to the vendor in PA for some info and a signature, it was a PITA but I was in no hurry, yeah? I had another bike already registered, you understand. Took me something like three trips to finally get a green OHV sticker for the pit bike. Here in AZ, the DMV is actually called the MVD... everything is @$$-backward here, and of course there has to be some VD involved, LOL. :eek:

P.S. Fish & Game Dept. in AZ is known as Game & Fish... guess they rank the critters by size, LOL. :rolleyes:
They got back to me and I need the invoice and a "manufacturer's statement of Origin". What that last one was he did not explain and the only paperwork I got upon delivery had an HIN #, batch # etc. Hope that's what I need. Want to get this thing floatin soon!

Ghost Rider

Planing into eternity...
I hear ya, I'd wanna get out there too... that "Manufacturer's Statement of Origin" was another piece of the puzzle, at least that came with the bike. For some reason I can't recall, I had to send that form to the vendor as well, it was a regular bureaucratic clusterf#%, LOL. Finally got it all worked out, funny how the bureaucrats wanna punish folks just trying to do the right thing and get the boat (or bike) registered. Reminds me of that old tune, can't remember who sang it but it went like this: "Red tape, killing you, killing me, red tape..." :confused:

P.S. Did your boat come packaged in a box or a crate of some sort? That's how my pit bike arrived... might wanna check for that statement if it did arrive in a box or crate, it'll be a PITA trying to get one from overseas, if you went through a U.S. vendor maybe that outfit will have a copy. :rolleyes: