New Sunfish

Oh, yeah, that rigmarole... I went through that after buying a Chinese ThumpStar pit bike online, no title, just an invoice, had to pay tax and fill out some bull$h!t forms just to get an OHV sticker, go figure. Be prepared for a similar runaround, just don't lose your temper, it'll only delay matters, LOL. In some states, any sailboat under a certain length does NOT need to be registered, can't remember if CA has such a rule, I always registered mine anyway because they didn't cost that much and I didn't wanna get hassled by waterborne revenue collectors. Had no paperwork whatsoever for the Minifish when I bought it, had to register it as a "home-built boat" just to get a sticker, pffffft. Meh, I built the glass repair on it, so WTF... sometimes these damned bureaucrats find the most ridiculous reasons to aggravate taxpayers, LOL. :confused:

In California, sailboats over 8 feet need registration. The outfit I purchased from will do everything officially I'm betting. Haven't heard from them yet gotta say!

Now that I think of it, I had to mail one of those DMV forms to the vendor in PA for some info and a signature, it was a PITA but I was in no hurry, yeah? I had another bike already registered, you understand. Took me something like three trips to finally get a green OHV sticker for the pit bike. Here in AZ, the DMV is actually called the MVD... everything is @$$-backward here, and of course there has to be some VD involved, LOL. :eek:

P.S. Fish & Game Dept. in AZ is known as Game & Fish... guess they rank the critters by size, LOL. :rolleyes:

Now that I think of it, I had to mail one of those DMV forms to the vendor in PA for some info and a signature, it was a PITA but I was in no hurry, yeah? I had another bike already registered, you understand. Took me something like three trips to finally get a green OHV sticker for the pit bike. Here in AZ, the DMV is actually called the MVD... everything is @$$-backward here, and of course there has to be some VD involved, LOL. :eek:

P.S. Fish & Game Dept. in AZ is known as Game & Fish... guess they rank the critters by size, LOL. :rolleyes:

They got back to me and I need the invoice and a "manufacturer's statement of Origin". What that last one was he did not explain and the only paperwork I got upon delivery had an HIN #, batch # etc. Hope that's what I need. Want to get this thing floatin soon!

I hear ya, I'd wanna get out there too... that "Manufacturer's Statement of Origin" was another piece of the puzzle, at least that came with the bike. For some reason I can't recall, I had to send that form to the vendor as well, it was a regular bureaucratic clusterf#%, LOL. Finally got it all worked out, funny how the bureaucrats wanna punish folks just trying to do the right thing and get the boat (or bike) registered. Reminds me of that old tune, can't remember who sang it but it went like this: "Red tape, killing you, killing me, red tape..." :confused:

P.S. Did your boat come packaged in a box or a crate of some sort? That's how my pit bike arrived... might wanna check for that statement if it did arrive in a box or crate, it'll be a PITA trying to get one from overseas, if you went through a U.S. vendor maybe that outfit will have a copy. :rolleyes:

I hear ya, I'd wanna get out there too... that "Manufacturer's Statement of Origin" was another piece of the puzzle, at least that came with the bike. For some reason I can't recall, I had to send that form to the vendor as well, it was a regular bureaucratic clusterf#%, LOL. Finally got it all worked out, funny how the bureaucrats wanna punish folks just trying to do the right thing and get the boat (or bike) registered. Reminds me of that old tune, can't remember who sang it but it went like this: "Red tape, killing you, killing me, red tape..." :confused:

P.S. Did your boat come packaged in a box or a crate of some sort? That's how my pit bike arrived... might wanna check for that statement if it did arrive in a box or crate, it'll be a PITA trying to get one from overseas, if you went through a U.S. vendor maybe that outfit will have a copy. :rolleyes:

Hey Ghost Rider, It came in a heavily structured cardboard box that the driver, my son in law and myself carried to the backyard. Not heavy but bulky. He had a Laser underneath-nice lookin boat. That "Red Tape" song was a punk tune from the early 80's- Circle Jerks, Wild in the Streets or maybe "Golden Shower Hits" I have it on CD somewhere believe it or not!
I still put on the old metal but rarely, rarely listen to punk-except Clash. When I was in Wisconsin a couple of weeks ago, I had decided not to bring any music. The quiet was wonderful. All I listened to were old foxtrot records on the Victrola my great grandparents bought back in the 1920's.

If that is not enough paperwork call the seller. If they can't help, let us know, we have a few contacts at LP HQ. I know for our trailers the seller provides a statement of origin (who built it and where), usually the key thing there is the VIN, which also tells who made it in the 12 digit code. They will also want to see whether you paid tax or not.

All new hulls from UK and China are Ice Blue now, per an email I got from the Chairman of LP Bill Crane. He also indicated that the specifications had been tightened so that the boats are more "one design" than they have ever been.

And yes there are new recreational sails coming from vendors other than North, part of an overall initiative to keep parts flowing to LP and dealers. Check out the LP website, most part prices have gone up as has the price of everything else in the world, but the recreational sails are down to $250 and the Race sail is $395! I think any new boat that can be bought for under $5000 is incredible, especially the best, most versatile and fun boat ever made :)

Cheers
Kent and Skipper

Thanks again to you Kent and Skipper, I have the West Coast Sailing invoice and there was a paper with Hull # , Batch# and a few other bits of information. Also got a new boat registration form from the DMV so I am going to get started on that. My guess is I will pay a "use tax" similar to a sales tax and in the end, I will be under $5,000 on the whole deal. Soonish, I would like to get one of those breathable covers I think you mentioned. I really appreciate the extra support!

Phil Nymark

Hi Phil

You're welcome, just paying it forward from all the folks that helped us. Thanks for posting the pictures, very helpful.

Cheers
Kent and Skipper

I got everything in the mail today. Also purchased two mainsheet hangers and a gooseneck adjustment clamp from Intensity.

All new hulls from UK and China are Ice Blue now, per an email I got from the Chairman of LP Bill Crane. He also indicated that the specifications had been tightened so that the boats are more "one design" than they have ever been.

And yes there are new recreational sails coming from vendors other than North, part of an overall initiative to keep parts flowing to LP and dealers. Check out the LP website, most part prices have gone up as has the price of everything else in the world, but the recreational sails are down to $250 and the Race sail is $395! I think any new boat that can be bought for under $5000 is incredible, especially the best, most versatile and fun boat ever made :)

Cheers
Kent and Skipper

Very interesting thread this is!
APS still lists the 'race' sail for $535 (presumably North) as of 8/11/18, but the LP site has the sail for $395 (with an LP sticker at the tack; presumably not North), as Kent already pointed out.
Now there will be endless discussions among the racing crowd which racing sail is 'faster'.

Beautiful boat! The boom looks okay from the angles I see. And the sail is supposed to be pooled like that, it has extra draft cut into the foot, you will be pleased with how it sets out in a breeze. The older sails you are used to are pretty flat. The bottom edge (foot) is curved, not straight and there is some broadseaming to give the sail camber, like a wing. Keep the outhauls tight for heavier wind days and loose for light wind days. After a few sails you might adjust them a bit to suit you.

Here is a new Laser Performance Mai Tai sail we bought early this year, we were surprised when it showed up with an LP sticker on it vs North Sails.

View attachment 27507

You boom is going to bend a bit, nature of the design.

View attachment 27508

Tacking through the wind, boom straight, foot of sail puddled on the boom.

View attachment 27509

Well none of the above matters because the Queen Kitty approves! Does the boat have a name yet?

And thank you for sharing pictures, first new boat we've seen in a long time.

Cheers
Kent and Skipper

Beautiful boat! The boom looks okay from the angles I see. And the sail is supposed to be pooled like that, it has extra draft cut into the foot, you will be pleased with how it sets out in a breeze. The older sails you are used to are pretty flat. The bottom edge (foot) is curved, not straight and there is some broadseaming to give the sail camber, like a wing. Keep the outhauls tight for heavier wind days and loose for light wind days. After a few sails you might adjust them a bit to suit you.

Here is a new Laser Performance Mai Tai sail we bought early this year, we were surprised when it showed up with an LP sticker on it vs North Sails.

View attachment 27507

View attachment 27508

View attachment 27509

Well none of the above matters because the Queen Kitty approves! Does the boat have a name yet?

Cheers
Kent and Skipper

I have been re-reading all the info on this thread as I can't remember all the advice the first time. Thanks to all for your knowledge...

View attachment 27507

View attachment 27508

View attachment 27509

Cheers
Kent and Skipper
That extra curl of sail at the lower boom is what I was wondering about. Looks great on your boat and now I understand how it works... Thanks!

Very nice! To add to what Kent said, if you look at the middle of the three pictures he posted, you’ll see the boom bends when you sheet in. The curve in the bottom of the sail is designed to roughly match the curve in the boom sheeted it. As Kent said, Sunfish sails over the past 20 years or so are cut to “pool” as the bottom.

The top spar should be tied so the outhaul is snug.

I’d start with the outhaul tied so the sail comes to about 4 inches from the end of the boom. As Kent says, if it gets really windy you can tighten it to flatten the sail. Racers have the outhauls set up to be adjustable “on the fly” but that isn’t needed for recreational sailing.
Thank you Chris. I have been re reading the posts - takes me a few times to absorb the info!

Back