Minifish Inspection Ports

drummer5829

Hi all,

I just got a Minifish that needs to be dried out and am trying to determine the best locations for inspection ports.

I've seen the document and instructions for the Sunfish here: http://kb.sunfishforum.com/images/Inspection_Ports.pdf and another thread for Minifish here: Where to put inspection ports in a Minifish ... but haven't seen any definitive answers.

1626287740352.png
1626287807834.png
1626287820414.png

Any help would be appreciated!

Present weight of your Minifish?

Stored in a garage?

You could get by with one small port (as pictured) a computer fan, and two feet of PVC pipe.

I'm not sure there is any definitive answer - I'd put them where you might have need of future repairs. have you done a leak test to confirm where leaks are?

on a Minifish, you don't have room to put one between the coaming and the daggerboard slot like the diagram shows for a Sunfish. that's my picture of a Minifish - that location works and gives access to multiple areas for potential repair or just adding the block and cleat as I did.

I'd personally start with just 1 port - and maybe open up the drain plug along the one side of the deck for a little bit of air flow. get an old computer fan or a muffin fan and just start with a small amount of air flow through the boat to dry out any wet foam.

Present weight of your Minifish?

Stored in a garage?

You could get by with one small port (as pictured) a computer fan, and two feet of PVC pipe.

I haven't weighed it yet... feels like maybe 100-150 lbs based on picking it up with 2 people.

It's currently stored in my apartment's underground garage.

I bought a 2-pack of 4" ports - what's the purpose of the PVC pipe?

I'm not sure there is any definitive answer - I'd put them where you might have need of future repairs. have you done a leak test to confirm where leaks are?

on a Minifish, you don't have room to put one between the coaming and the daggerboard slot like the diagram shows for a Sunfish. that's my picture of a Minifish - that location works and gives access to multiple areas for potential repair or just adding the block and cleat as I did.

I'd personally start with just 1 port - and maybe open up the drain plug along the one side of the deck for a little bit of air flow. get an old computer fan or a muffin fan and just start with a small amount of air flow through the boat to dry out any wet foam.

Yeah, there are a few cracks / holes in the hull I need to patch up with fiberglass.

Is there a reason you put the inspection port so far to the left? I'm guessing it'd be preferable for me to shift it right, and avoid that bit of foam.

1626291367453.png
1626291386792.png

Thanks for the advice!

I haven't weighed it yet... feels like maybe 100-150 lbs based on picking it up with 2 people. I bought a 2-pack of 4" ports - what's the purpose of the PVC pipe?
Put the computer fan on one end, and let the exhaust-air leave by the opening (around the pipe).

One port can suffice, if the hull isn't heavy. Would a dry Mini-Fish weigh 95 pounds? Anyone? :confused:

Have you opened the deck drain for loose water? Then I would weigh it. I would then leak test. Depending on weigh I would then consider a port.

Yeah, I tried to drain it, but not much came out.

My next step is to weigh it, but it definitely is not the 75lbs I've seen online.

There are a few obvious cracks / holes in the hull, so I'll need to patch those before a leak test.

Back