Mast Horn Cleat

Thread starter #1
I see that many newer Sunfish have a horn cleat on the starboard side of the mast.

My older rig does not have one. Is that something I need to add?? If so, what is the best way for me to attach it to the mast? Aluminum Pop Rivets? Screws?

JohnCT

I used screws for mine.

You don't "need" to add one, the advantage is it takes the halyard load off the deck and makes it easier to tie the tail end as a vang to keep the lower spar down going down wind.

Something from the race community

L&VW

I see that many newer Sunfish have a horn cleat on the starboard side of the mast. My older rig does not have one. Is that something I need to add?? If so, what is the best way for me to attach it to the mast? Aluminum Pop Rivets? Screws?
Having had a mast snap at 14" above the deck, I hesitate to drill holes in the mast. Has anyone used 3M 5200 adhesive for this purpose?

Some find it difficult to work with. :p

I used screws, and like JohnCT, put it as high up off the deck as possible. I used the 3M 4200 sealant behind the cleat, and fastened it on with #10 stainless steel sheet metal screws – I had to pre-drill the mast with small pilot holes.

this picture is a good diagram of where to put it, as well as other rigging information.