Lower boom (spar) height

For the purpose of maximum clearance (headroom) at what point is too high to rig the sailplan. Let's base it on distance between deck and gooseneck. I've seen pictures that appear to be between two and three feet between deck and gooseneck. Thanks for your answers.

There really is no predetermined halyard attachment point. I suggest you set the gooseneck on the (lower) boom at about 17 - 18 inches back from the forward end of the boom and then simply experiment with the halyard attachment point until you find a position that meets your needs. Racers like to lower the sail plan so the forward end of the boom is about 2 to 3" off the deck with the gooseneck set at about 16" back, but for day sailing, it is nice to have a little more headroom, especially if you are sailing with two people on board.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

When I took it out the first time I set it up according to the "Sunfish Rigging Guide" which I believe is for a racing set up. It sailed fine, even though it was windy as hell that day. I'll bet I got boomed in the head a half dozen times. It seems though, that I read somewhere, that setting the rig too high could bend the mast. I'm not sure though which is why I asked the question.

Back