How Do I Clean This Up?

Zrtsixx

Rudder cheek clean up.jpg
How do I clean up the wood stain (yes, that right, wood stain!) and corrosion/pitting on my rudder cheek.... Can anyone help me out?

I typically sand the aluminum, both outside and inside surfaces, use an aluminum spray primer (Lowe's has one), then spray paint with a good paint. You should remove the ss pin first. I have used an orbital sander on the outside surface with 120 grit or 180 grit paper. I then use a piece of 3/4" wood with sandpaper wrapped around it to sand the inside. That way I get both inside surfaces at the same time.

Just sand it. Use coarse paper (80-100) to get the crud off. Then go to progressively finer paper to get the finish you desire. I left mine uncoated because I like the dull look of aluminum oxide, but you could clear coat it to preserve the finish you get from sanding.

In freshwater aluminum will never corrode enough to cause failure. It will get a thin layer of aluminum oxide and a dull look, but that's it. You may get some nasty pitting and such in salt water if it's not rinsed afterwards.

Another idea: get a soft wire brush wheel that you can attach to a motor or bench grinder shaft and use the rotating wire brush to remove all the crud. I have one attached to an old 1250 rpm motor that I salvaged off an old washing machine. This is easier than sanding and the wire wheel will get into almost all of the tight spots. Yes, salt water is the enemy of these aluminum cast rudder heads, but they are still stronger and stiffer than their plastic counterparts.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

Alan, I've noticed you mention burnishing the rudder cheeks on the rudders you sell. Is this what your referring to?

Back