Graphics for sails

norcalsail

Well, I posted about buying an Intensity practice race sail which I really like. I would like to get some custom graphics to make it my own. Are there any recommendations for companies that supply graphics. I looked online, but am hoping for advice here on the Sunfish Forum. Thanks!

Attachments

• -392235372_20230714_153608_1159202_resized.jpg
    -392235372_20230714_153608_1159202_resized.jpg
    836.5 KB · Views: 187
Try a sailmaker. We have this custom code zero from Quantum. They also did the graphics and numbers for our Rebel

Attachments

• IMG_8522.jpeg
    IMG_8522.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 84
  • IMG_0112.jpeg
    IMG_0112.jpeg
    749.4 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_3660.jpeg
    IMG_3660.jpeg
    924.6 KB · Views: 93
Just a little off subject….
I would like to add the Sunfish logo on my Sunfish Direct sail. Is there a way I can get them without having to make myself?

That is pretty slick. What was the price of that artwork?
I'll send you a PM

Chris Picknally can handpaint sails (the GoldShark is hand painted) or now, I believe he can print large scale graphics on sails. You can find him on Facebook. He does great work! Look closely (expand the photo) of the goldfish...there are little bubbles coming off the shark fin! LOL!

Last edited:
I liked my Intensity practice race sail on my new, '69 Sunfish so much, I bought one for my 2018 here in California. I replaced the LP sail in my profile photo with it and took Signal Charlies advice and got some material from Sailrite. I cut my own Sunfish logo and put it on the Intensity sail. I really like how it looks.

Attachments

• IMG_20230825_134708.jpg
    IMG_20230825_134708.jpg
    673.6 KB · Views: 88
Looks great. I wish I could get a couple of those.
Sailrite sent me a yard x 4 1/2 feet of red adhesive sailcloth for About $45 after shipping). I used tracing paper to trace the Sunfish outline from my LP sail. Then I used that to make a cardboard cutout and with the cardboard cutout, I traced the pattern onto the sail cloth. I carefully cut this out and then made a mirror image for the other side. What was difficult was placing the image in the right orientation. My fish images point slightly down I think. I have extra sailcloth left so I can add other red highlights if I want. I will probably get more green sailcloth so I can make some for my Wisconsin boat next summer.

Does this example off of an Alcort Class Approved sail from Canada seem plausible as a starting point?
Did the 'Fish' ever have an eye?

Attachments

• logo_canada_classapproved.jpg
    logo_canada_classapproved.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 75
Thanks Tag., thank for the link, nice article!

I am fine working through the templating process, I enjoy it. I just don't know the image well enough to say if my attempts are reasonable.

I see my one sail and yours show the bumps on the lower fin. Some of the images online do not have this feature and the fins are all slightly different.

I took SignalCharlie's advice and got some adhesive backed dacron from SailRite and cut my own graphics to dress up my sail from Intensity Sails. I like the sail but wanted something more unique. Initially I just wanted to replicate the sunfish logo but then I said "Wait a minute. I live in the USA. I have freedom. The possibilities are endless!" So I created what I call the "PAC-FISH" logo because mine is a 1980 Sunfish, I first learned to sail in 1980, and Pac-Man came out in 1980 so I made a mashup of the Sunfish logo and the Pac-Man logo - fun, right? Some might say it's blasphemous to the Sunfish logo or just plain silly but I think it's fun. I also added the white stars because again - this is the USA(not France). I love the graphics you all have shared and it inspired me to do something fun. I hope this inspires more people to do the same. Happy sailing!
DSCF0708-NO ID.JPG

Last edited:
I'd like one for my "official-race" Sunfish sail.

Is it big enough to cover the existing "T"?

;)

Back