Carbon tiller

Thread starter #1
Hi All! Europeans RDL in Athens are done, and I've got a boat after that event. Aussie 210... in very good condition. Now I have everything, including tiller and tiller extension and now I'm stuck with 1 question : is better to use carbon tiller (flat) or continue sailing with a stock one ( round one)? IMHO I prefer to get carbon one because I can make my traveller tighter than I can do it now and probably on tacks my double blocks will not stuck because of form of tiller

P.s : if somebody has carbon tiller DM me here or send email on nikagessa@gmail.com

Last edited:
Thread starter #3
So it works better with the flat carbon tiller? I think you've answered your own question.
I haven't sail with carbon one ever, that's only my prediction and things that I've heard/seen, just wanna hear someone's opinion who sailed on both tillers and say exact the difference

thieuster

It doesn't make a difference when you sail. Apart from the things you summed up. Perhaps a few grams. And the carbon tiller is stiff. Still you can win regattas with an old style tiller.

Together with being lightweight, carbon is pretty strong. (I've seen a carbon upper mast after it had gone awol from a trailer @ 80 km/hr... Not even a scratch and the owner made it into the gold fleet last week in Athens with that mast - so carbon is strong!)

Anyway, a few things to note when using a carbon tiller:
  • Make sure that there's a protective s/steel 'plate' on top of the tiller to protect it from being damaged by the blocks when you tack.
  • When the rudder gudgeons are getting worn. the tiller will scrape the deck. Time to replace the gudgeons!
  • A new tiller can be hard to insert in the rudder head. Wet sanding with really fine sanding paper until it fits will do.
Brand-wise: you can pick the 'usual suspects' like Laser's own XD brand, or Rooster. Windesign makes a great tiller as well and the new kid on the block is Polish brand 'Mace'. More sympathetically priced than the others.

Last edited:

torrid

Just sailing
I haven't sail with carbon one ever, that's only my prediction and things that I've heard/seen, just wanna hear someone's opinion who sailed on both tillers and say exact the difference
My experience as a club-level racer, the weight doesn't make any difference. However the carbon tiller is very durable (had my acme for almost 20 years), and the traveler clears the flat tiller much better when tacking.

Thread starter #6
My experience as a club-level racer, the weight doesn't make any difference. However the carbon tiller is very durable (had my acme for almost 20 years), and the traveler clears the flat tiller much better when tacking.
Thank you so much!

Thread starter #7
It doesn't make a difference when you sail. Apart from the things you summed up. Perhaps a few grams. And the carbon tiller is stiff. Still you can win regattas with an old style tiller.

Together with being lightweight, carbon is pretty strong. (I've seen a carbon upper mast after it had gone awol from a trailer @ 80 km/hr... Not even a scratch and the owner made it into the gold fleet last week in Athens with that mast - so carbon is strong!)

Anyway, a few things to note when using a carbon tiller:
  • Make sure that there's a protective s/steel 'plate' on top of the tiller to protect it from being damaged by the blocks when you tack.
  • When the rudder gudgeons are getting worn. the tiller will scrape the deck. Time to replace the gudgeons!
  • A new tiller can be hard to insert in the rudder head. Wet sanding with really fine sanding paper until it fits will do.
Brand-wise: you can pick the 'usual suspects' like Laser's own XD brand, or Rooster. Windesign makes a great tiller as well and the new kid on the block is Polish brand 'Mace'. More sympathetically priced than the others.
I found that tiller (attached screenshot) but now I have 1 more question. Where's the cleat to tie the rudder rope on it?

Attachments

thieuster

It's at the side of the tiller, not on top as others have. I cannot say that there's a 'pro' or 'con' when it comes to where the cleat is positioned. I can't take pics of my son's tiller and extension set-up. His boat is currently on its way from Athens to Rostock (Warnemuende) for the next event starting on Thursday. The Mace tiller extension has a nice feel and a good grip as well.

Rooster's tiller extension is easily recognised by the big red knob on top of the extension. Lots of sailors appreciate that set-up. At least when I look at the number of top-sailors using the Rooster extension.

Thread starter #9
It's at the side of the tiller, not on top as others have. I cannot say that there's a 'pro' or 'con' when it comes to where the cleat is positioned. I can't take pics of my son's tiller and extension set-up. His boat is currently on its way from Athens to Rostock (Warnemuende) for the next event starting on Thursday. The Mace tiller extension has a nice feel and a good grip as well.

Rooster's tiller extension is easily recognised by the big red knob on top of the extension. Lots of sailors appreciate that set-up. At least when I look at the number of top-sailors using the Rooster extension.
Alright Sir, when his boat will arrive back can you please take a picture of this tiller and send it here on my mail?(nikagessa@gmail.com) Just wanna see real picture of it.
Just in that picture I haven't seen that cleat, and didn't get the position of it on tiller, so probably real picture will explain everything better than internet's one

thieuster

This is a quicker way. Sadly, SailCenter is now the Dutch dealer for this brand, meaning that prices are up! Good thing is that there's a pic of the tiller on SailCenter's website. If there's no dealer for them in Greece you can buy it directly from them.

A quick screenshot from SailCenter's website:

You can see the cleat on the side of the tiller.

Schermafbeelding 2019-07-08 om 23.15.40.png

And then I came across this. A titanium tiller!! Wow!

NegriNautica Ti. tiller

Last edited:
Thread starter #11
This is a quicker way. Sadly, SailCenter is now the Dutch dealer for this brand, meaning that prices are up! Good thing is that there's a pic of the tiller on SailCenter's website. If there's no dealer for them in Greece you can buy it directly from them.

A quick screenshot from SailCenter's website:

You can see the cleat on the side of the tiller.

View attachment 32884

And then I came across this. A titanium tiller!! Wow!

NegriNautica Ti. tiller
Oww, thank you so much! Now see this!

Wavedancer

Upside down?
Staff member
Just took a picture of the cleat on my tiller (Windesign by Optiparts). The cleat 'sits' IMG_1021.JPG about 45 degrees from the top of the tiller
If 'your' tiller comes without a cleat, it's easy to add one. Just two screws.

I stumbled upon that tiller only last night. And, tbh, I haven't seen one on any boat. I suppose it is class-legal and all. Perhaps a nice item to test some day!
I am no chemist, so I had to look this one up: Ti is very corrosion resistant when it's in contact with salt water. No problems here.

Menno