tag

my2fish
Anyone heard of an "Ayr Sailboat"?
http://kalamazoo.craigslist.org/boa/1723985750.html

3k43mf3p25V15U45X2a54c2805163ff8d1af7.jpg

3k33p13l45Q25Z25P5a544a22ecb5e39b107d.jpg

3n23kd3p75V55T45P4a547158572b67c11d1b.jpg

3m53pf3lc5O35P45R6a54232ce41be56416db.jpg

the weighted rudder and rudder bracket, the raised portion running down the centerline of the boat, and the shallow cockpit with the hiking straps on the sidewall all look very similar to my Super Porpoise. I don't know what the symbol on the sail is though.

thoughts?
tag

This is a Super Porpoise sailbiat, a Sunfish clone that was made in Dowgiac (Sp?) Michigan during the 1970's. The give-away is the raised center ridge on the deck, the lead weighted rudder and the rudder attachment hardware. The sail is off a different boat. Here is a link to some photos of a Super Porpoise sail with a Super Porpoise logo on the sail:www.hookahforum.com/topic/31707-sailing-on-my-porpoise-now-with-pics/

I used to own a Super Porpoise on Crystal Lake, Michigan, near Frankfort. It too had an aftermarket sail, but it was stable and great fun in a blow. The raised floor, self bailing cockpit was a great design as you never had to hand bail the boat even when moored or on the beach. I think a well sailed Sunfish is a little faster, but the Super Porpoise is more stable and roomier than a Sunfish.

Enjoy.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

I would say that it is a Porpoise as well, but the lack of a splash guard and the way that the raised portion from the mast out is more tapered at the edges make me say differently. And that is only because it is different than the porpoise hull that I picked up recently. Could it be a Super Porpoise knock off?

Seems like a good deal though. I would love to get the extra rudder and dagger board off of him though, if he wasn't so far away.

Humm...I don't recall that my Super Sunfish has a splashrail. Maybe the one shown in TAG's photos has a splashrail that is now missing. Are there holes in the deck where the [missing] splashrail was originally. I am about 99% sure that this is either a Super Porpoise or the smaller Porpoise made by the same builder.

Alan Glos

The photos were just from the Craigslist ad - not my boat.

I went out and looked at the Super Porpoise hanging on the wall in my garage - the bow handle is a little different, and the ridge at the center on my boat seems like it is more squared off at the vertical part (basically what wop31 mentioned about the taper). My Super Porpoise does have a white splash guard. The raised portion stops at the splash guard. There is also a metal plate ring around the mast tube - the pictures (above) look might there might be one on that boat, but its hard to tell. I'm not sure exactly how a Super Porpoise and Porpoise differ - but the styling sure makes me think of my Super Porpoise.

I went over to the "Files" section under "Clonefish" at the Sunfish Yahoo Group - it has some old flyers for a Porpoise and a Porpoise II - they both show a length of 12'-4", the Super Porpoise is listed as 14'-8" -- while the Craigslist ad shows 15'.

I also checked out Shorty Pen's Board Boat Guide - he has quite a few pics of the Super Porpoise, and not all of them have the splash guard. Both the following pics are from his site.

myst5b.jpg

sporp3.jpg

The 2nd picture looks just like my Super Porpoise.

Any other thoughts out there? Wayne, maybe?
Buehler? Buehler? Anyone?

tag

Looks like a Super Porpoise to me.

The boat was built by two or three succesive builders. Could be some changes took place along the way.

The family tree has a lot of missing links...

Attachments

• Super P.jpg
    Super P.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 36
Perhaps instead of an "Ayr" sailboat, it's an "Arrrgh" sailboat.... Just couldn't help it!:D

Back