Alcort Catfish

signal charlie

Staff member
Thread starter #4
FMI: Alcort Catfish SMEDLEY Restoration Log

SMEDLEY has some roller damage and needs some cleaning.

He's at our friend Eddie English's Boat Trailer shop getting fit for a new catamaran trailer. We borrowed one of the Skipper's trailers to haul him up there.

Our hope is to get him seaworthy in time for Juana's Good Time Regatta in September, maybe he'll run a few laps.

Cheers
Kent and Audrey

Last edited:

signal charlie

Staff member
Thread starter #5
Thanks Tag, that is good reference material and partly fueled our insane desire to own a 196s Alcort catamaran. The rudders were revolutionary, designed by catamaran genius George Patterson and the solid deck was novel as well. Fast forward to 2018, there are hints of Catfish design in the foiling cat UFO designed by David Clark. Alan passed along the info that David's Dad Steve Clark of Vanguard Boats (Sunfish and Laser) raced a Catfish back when, so maybe there is some influence

Maybe they'll design a foiling kit for the Catfish :)

Cheers
Kent

Kent, that's an interesting connection - I didn't catch it before, but now that you mention it, the UFO is eerily similar to the Catfish hull shape.

signal charlie

Staff member
Thread starter #7
Tag,
Steve Clark mentions the Catfish a lot, but I don't know how much that factored into the design. Another design element that gets mentioned in the conversation is the Herreshoff Amphi-Craft's "wishboom" rig, I like that boat as well and unfortunately the Amphi-Craft is on our "someday it might be fun to own one" list. It came with a cool custom trailer that rode on Indian Motorcycle tires. All the parts fit inside the boat, the mast was 2 part. $560 USD, including trailer. Cabriolet convertible tow vehicle not included.

FMI: Herreshoff Amphi-Craft

PRIM is on display at the Providence Airport, I like to check on her from time to time. Already have the Navy uniform, currently adapted for my other job.

Cheers
Kent

signal charlie

Staff member
Thread starter #9
L&VW
There probably aren't too many of those rudders on the planet. They have Patterson's name cast into them for patent. Now realize that this rudder design came out in 1965, notice any similarities to the "new style" Sunfish rudder that appeared in 1969?

k

beldar boathead

What a great find! I bet it looked pretty futuristic back in the '60s, although it is a heavy boat!! The name of the boat is also clever, but the sail insignia is not the most attractive. I wish I had the space you do - I'd love to have a Sailfish, maybe a Flying Fish and perhaps a Hilu.

BB

signal charlie

Staff member
Thread starter #11
BB
I can't believe that people weren't flocking to Waterbury to pick up a "Catfish." Maybe the name Flounder was already taken? But Sunfish isn't exactly a sleek, attractive creature either...

Wavedancer

Upside down?
Staff member
Very interesting thread. I had been reading about the UFO on 'another' forum (Sailing A.a.c.y) and would love to try one.
Now my question: Did Steve Clark actually design the Catfish? It seems that the Catfish predates the Vanguard phase of the Sunfish etc.

L&VW

There probably aren't too many of those rudders on the planet. They have Patterson's name cast into them for patent. Now realize that this rudder design came out in 1965, notice any similarities to the "new style" Sunfish rudder that appeared in 1969? k
'Only see general similarities to the new Sunfish rudder.

What I thought were reflections of a generous chord appear to be stains on the aluminum surface. :( I also didn't realize the rudders were castings. :oops: For my catamaran, I made one of aluminum sheet metal, folded back (lengthwise) on itself—with a wood core—added epoxy, and heliarced all :confused: the edges. Heavy, strong, and slow. :rolleyes:

An enhanced enlargement of your Catfish rudder—if that's helpful:

Fullscreen capture 372018 92552 PM.bmp.jpg

Now I see springs! :cool:

signal charlie

Staff member
Thread starter #18
Finished up repairs on the Catfish and got her rigged, Sea Trials were a success. SMEDLEY sailed great in light winds, can't wait to take her out in a little more wind but not TS Alberto.

Our buddy Scott repaired the tiller rest.

Making a hole for a new centerboard pivot bearing.

Plugging holes with TotalBoat THIXO and backer patches.

Float Test. No leaks!

New cb bearinings, rounded some 3/4 inch oak dowels then bedded them in THIXO.

Last edited:

signal charlie

Staff member
Thread starter #19
Pivoting centerboard uphaul.

Skipper is the Test Pilot, nothing fell off!

The tillers are awesome, they telescope out about 2 feet if needed.

Skipper's first catamaran ride.

The advertised crew eight is 300 pounds but I climbed on anyway with the Skipper. SMEDLEY still tacked and gybed with ease. My first catamaran ride as well!

SMEDLEY is alive! Fun boat, very stable and I bet she'll be a fun ride when the wind picks up.

SMEDLEY's Restoration Log

Last edited: