Alcort Catfish

signal charlie

Staff member
We are restoring an Alcort Catfish, to round out a collection of Alcort boats :)

IMG_3507.JPG

IMG_3509.JPG

IMG_3515.JPG

Catfish%2Bport%2Bstern%2Bsailing.jpeg

FMI: Alcort Catfish SMEDLEY Restoration Log

SMEDLEY has some roller damage and needs some cleaning.

IMG_4622.JPG

IMG_4623.JPG

He's at our friend Eddie English's Boat Trailer shop getting fit for a new catamaran trailer. We borrowed one of the Skipper's trailers to haul him up there.

IMG_4630.JPG

Our hope is to get him seaworthy in time for Juana's Good Time Regatta in September, maybe he'll run a few laps.

Cheers
Kent and Audrey

Last edited:
Thanks Tag, that is good reference material and partly fueled our insane desire to own a 196s Alcort catamaran. The rudders were revolutionary, designed by catamaran genius George Patterson and the solid deck was novel as well. Fast forward to 2018, there are hints of Catfish design in the foiling cat UFO designed by David Clark. Alan passed along the info that David's Dad Steve Clark of Vanguard Boats (Sunfish and Laser) raced a Catfish back when, so maybe there is some influence

Maybe they'll design a foiling kit for the Catfish :)

Cheers
Kent

Kent, that's an interesting connection - I didn't catch it before, but now that you mention it, the UFO is eerily similar to the Catfish hull shape.

Tag,
Steve Clark mentions the Catfish a lot, but I don't know how much that factored into the design. Another design element that gets mentioned in the conversation is the Herreshoff Amphi-Craft's "wishboom" rig, I like that boat as well and unfortunately the Amphi-Craft is on our "someday it might be fun to own one" list. It came with a cool custom trailer that rode on Indian Motorcycle tires. All the parts fit inside the boat, the mast was 2 part. $560 USD, including trailer. Cabriolet convertible tow vehicle not included.

FMI: Herreshoff Amphi-Craft

herreshoff%2Bamphicraft.jpg

PRIM is on display at the Providence Airport, I like to check on her from time to time. Already have the Navy uniform, currently adapted for my other job.

Amphicraft%2BKent%2B1.jpg

Cheers
Kent

L&VW
There probably aren't too many of those rudders on the planet. They have Patterson's name cast into them for patent. Now realize that this rudder design came out in 1965, notice any similarities to the "new style" Sunfish rudder that appeared in 1969?

k

What a great find! I bet it looked pretty futuristic back in the '60s, although it is a heavy boat!! The name of the boat is also clever, but the sail insignia is not the most attractive. I wish I had the space you do - I'd love to have a Sailfish, maybe a Flying Fish and perhaps a Hilu.

BB

BB
I can't believe that people weren't flocking to Waterbury to pick up a "Catfish." Maybe the name Flounder was already taken? But Sunfish isn't exactly a sleek, attractive creature either...

Very interesting thread. I had been reading about the UFO on 'another' forum (Sailing A.a.c.y) and would love to try one.
Now my question: Did Steve Clark actually design the Catfish? It seems that the Catfish predates the Vanguard phase of the Sunfish etc.

There probably aren't too many of those rudders on the planet. They have Patterson's name cast into them for patent. Now realize that this rudder design came out in 1965, notice any similarities to the "new style" Sunfish rudder that appeared in 1969? k
'Only see general similarities to the new Sunfish rudder.

What I thought were reflections of a generous chord appear to be stains on the aluminum surface. :( I also didn't realize the rudders were castings. :oops: For my catamaran, I made one of aluminum sheet metal, folded back (lengthwise) on itself—with a wood core—added epoxy, and heliarced all :confused: the edges. Heavy, strong, and slow. :rolleyes:

An enhanced enlargement of your Catfish rudder—if that's helpful:

Fullscreen capture 372018 92552 PM.bmp.jpg

Now I see springs! :cool:

Someone used a Rubber Winterizing Expansion Plug most likely. I'd say they
went kind of overboard on size.

Finished up repairs on the Catfish and got her rigged, Sea Trials were a success. SMEDLEY sailed great in light winds, can't wait to take her out in a little more wind but not TS Alberto.

Our buddy Scott repaired the tiller rest.

IMG_5239.JPG

Making a hole for a new centerboard pivot bearing.
IMG_5517.JPG

Plugging holes with TotalBoat THIXO and backer patches.

IMG_5343.JPG

IMG_5347.JPG

Float Test. No leaks!

IMG_5454.JPG

New cb bearinings, rounded some 3/4 inch oak dowels then bedded them in THIXO.

IMG_5526.JPG

Last edited:
Pivoting centerboard uphaul.

IMG_5574.JPG

Skipper is the Test Pilot, nothing fell off!

IMG_5607.JPG

The tillers are awesome, they telescope out about 2 feet if needed.
IMG_5615.JPG

Skipper's first catamaran ride.

IMG_5625.JPG

The advertised crew eight is 300 pounds but I climbed on anyway with the Skipper. SMEDLEY still tacked and gybed with ease. My first catamaran ride as well!

IMG_5631.JPG

SMEDLEY is alive! Fun boat, very stable and I bet she'll be a fun ride when the wind picks up.

IMG_5621.JPG

SMEDLEY's Restoration Log

Last edited:
Our sailmaker Schurr Sails cut some battens for us, took SMEDLEY out again this weekend. She tacks quickly and flies in a light wind. Skipper took me along as movable ballast and we'll expand our comfort zone in higher winds as time permits. Need to fix the capsize straps before we get too crazy. She is easy to rig when the mast is left up, just put on the sail and rudders. Loved the dual pivoting centerboards too.

IMG_6979.JPG

IMG_6985.JPG

IMG_7027.JPG

IMG_6998.JPG

Cheers
Clark and Skipper

Attachments

• IMG_6979.JPG
    IMG_6979.JPG
    780.8 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_7027.JPG
    IMG_7027.JPG
    427 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_7002.JPG
    IMG_7002.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 47
What a cool little boat... and I like the logo, too bad they didn't center it in that one white sail panel, I suppose they put it where it is to dodge the batten pocket. But still a primo boat & logo, like sailing a bit of nautical history, LOL. Two thumbs up!!! :cool:

Thanks Ghost Rider, she is a fun boat to sail, very relaxing on a light wind day and room for two folks to move around. Not twitchy like the Sunfish, but once the winds pick up we'll have to keep an eye on her.

Norcalsail,

Tell your Marine that SMEDLEY is named after Smedley Butler, one of the most decorated Marines in our history. The Skipper named the boat after seeing how it arrived to our house. We had it shipped from Schenectady and the shipper arrived with the boat on top of a rack on his Dodge Dualy. So she was truck topped. He did not have anyone to help him unload it because I was on the road, so he tied the transom to a tree and slowly pulled forward until the bow cleared the rack, held snug by a strap. He pulled a bit further forward, lowered the bow and then the transom. Skipper watched the whole evolution and said only a Marine could come ashore like that, and SMEDLEY sprung to mind.

IMG_0450.jpg

Last edited:
Lonnnng day of loading stuff & preparing for the trip ahead... glad I stayed on the mission because the clock is definitely ticking, I wanna be ready to start loading the rental truck on Saturday afternoon. Finish loading on Sunday, hit the road on Monday morning... heading to the coast, WOOHOO!!! Anyway, I like that little Catfish, I'd probably beef up everything including the standing rigging and put that boat through her paces... Tornado Cats, Prindles, Sol Cats, Hobies & Nacras, move over, LOL. The Catfish will scream past 'em all like they're standing still... or NOT, BWAHAHAHAHA!!! :rolleyes:

But when it comes to the COOL FACTOR, she's got 'em all beat hands down, no worries... say, while I was clearing about 200 fridge magnets from the black Whirlpool in my kitchen, I decided to remove a large sticker from the side of said fridge, didn't think the wife or girlfriend of this older buyer would want it on there, aye? Sticker actually came off intact, so I slapped it on another appliance which is going with me... you've probably heard of Hollywood Action Hero XXX, but I got that clown beat with MMM, my Metal Mulisha Microwave, WOOHOO!!! Only in America, baby!!! LOL... :cool:

IMG_3562.JPG

IMG_3563.JPG

ALRIGHT, I'M OFF TO GRAB ANOTHER COLD BEER OUTTA THE FRIDGE, THAT WAS A LONNNG DAY OF GETTING STUFF DONE... TOMORROW, I GET TO BREAK DOWN THE 8' POOL TABLE, BUT I GOTS PLENTY O' BEER, "10-DASH-FO'???" ;)

Norcalsail,

Tell your Marine that SMEDLEY is named after Smedley Butler, one of the most decorated Marines in our history. The Skipper named the boat after seeing how it arrived to our house. We had it shipped from Schenectady and the shipper arrived with the boat on top of a rack on his Dodge Dualy. So she was truck topped. He did not have anyone to help him unload it because I was on the road, so he tied the transom to a tree and slowly pulled forward until the bow cleared the rack, held snug by a strap. He pulled a bit further forward, lowered the bow and then the transom. Skipper watched the whole evolution and said only a Marine could come ashore like that.

View attachment 28257
What a great story and quite inspiring. As previously noted, I'm trying to find ways to safely store and transport my newbie Fish solo. Had to show my wife this thread, the photos and the video of you guys on the water. Will remember to tell that Marine about Smedley Butler. "Dual, pivoting centerboards" -awesome. That Catfish has just got the coolest look-love it...!

Last edited:
Hey, Norcalsail, your new Fish doesn't look that bad either, LOL... SC, my pop was born in Schenectady, but he wasn't a Marine, he was a mere CDR in the USN Submarine Service, LOL. A brother of mine followed in his footsteps and became a CDR in the nuke sub service... diesels and nukes, two different animals, but submarine service all the same. When I rolled my Minifish off NAB Coronado, I briefly entered the submarine service, but it didn't last that long, LOL. :confused:

Kent: What a great post! LOVED the Alcort Catfish ... got me thinking! Also, loved the photo from the Providence, RI, airport! I saw that same boat a few months ago - my brother and I met in Newport for the Volvo Ocean Race, saw that boat in the airport, and we toured the nearby Herreshoff Museum, which was fantastic. Had a wonderful time for a few days back in May at the race. That Catfish is totally cool. Have fun!

Hi Barnacle B

That AAMPHI-CRAFT has always caught my attention, the craftmanship and thought that Herreshoff put into a small, trailerable boat. They were way ahead of their time on that one.

Cheers
Clark and Skipper

Back