Wooden Sunfish Floor Boards

So I am working on this wooden sunfish and it did not come with original floorboards. So I made some quick out of 1/4" okoume marine plywood and put a coat of primer on them. I know there should be finger holes but I'm not sure if I got the dimensions quite right and would appreciate any insight anyone might have.

Attachments

• PXL_20230718_011633021.jpg
    PXL_20230718_011633021.jpg
    935 KB · Views: 53
So I am working on this wooden sunfish and it did not come with original floorboards. So I made some quick out of 1/4" okoume marine plywood and put a coat of primer on them. I know there should be finger holes but I'm not sure if I got the dimensions quite right and would appreciate any insight anyone might have.
I’ve never seen one, but Signal Charlie and Skipper will be able to give you excellent insights once they swing by this thread :)

Big enough for male fingers in the year 2023. I think it was around 3/4 inch or so.

Zip floorboards.jpg

Here's a link to our blog where we discuss floorboards for the wooden Sunfish.

CHIP

Another thing we did was coat the top face of the floorboard with a non skid paint, TotalBoat TotalTread.

Can you measure across like you did here but by the finger holes? I should be able to figure out where the holes and the wooden cleat on the back go then.

The cleat position varies from model year to model year, but it should fit just inside of the stringer that the floorboard rests on, a snug fit. You can use a piece of tape to mark the inboard edge of the stringer on the bulkheads and then transfer the mark to the topside of the floorboard. You might also want to put some tape on the floorboard to mark Port/Starboard and Top/Bottom as they only fit one way.

Drill from the top, with a sacrificial piece of wood underneath to prevent blowout/splintering of the plywood. Then we sanded the edges of the hole for a smooth, splinter fee feel. Seal that area and the rest of the end grain well.

Then place the edge of the finger holes an inch or so inside of the cleat.

If your boat has a bailer, we've seen a hole cutout to access that as well.

Hope that makes sense, if not feel free to give us a call (850) 449-4841.

Last edited:

Back