Water in rig

werdna

What is the best way to prevent water from entering the mast and boom? Is it best to seal the rivet holes, or to provide a drain hole?

There is nothing that you can do about the boom, the bottom section is meant to have a 1/4"/6mm hole in the bottom plug to allow it to drain and the top section is meant to be completely sealed.

The best way of avoiding water entering anywhere is to stay upright or if you do capsize, spend as little time with the rig in the water as possible.

hello,
in the boom, you can do a hole in the end plug for drain water.

We all used to do that until the ILCA measurer saw it and ruled it to be illegal.

I disagreed as I beieve the holes are part of standard maintenance.

but he was the official measurer not me...

Personally?? I think the outboard end holes should be stock. Rinsing the bioom would be much easier and booms that are well rinsed out inside are much less likely to corrode.

I sailed Byte until a few weeks ago, and the end plug was completely missing. It made it a lot easier to rinse out, and I found that with lasers, there is a fairly simple way to rinse it. Put some water in the gooseneck hole, about 1/2 full, then, with another person, hold it horizontally and spin it around. then, lean it against a wall and let it drain. The bottom mast is essentially the same.

Back