Water In Hull?

kaoskorruption

I got back from sailing yesterday and noticed that I can hear water gushing around inside the boat when I tilt it even though there is no water in the cockpit at all. I'm going to guess that it's in the hull. How do I drain it?

I also have water in a hull - I think it was there all winter. How do I drain and dry it? Presently I have no inspection ports. :confused:

I guess I'm a little old school - have been sailing the same hull for the past 45 years, since 1962. I liked the drain plugs, but eventually I had to install inspection ports, and that's what I'd recommend to you, too. Use the screw-in type. Don't trust the pop-in ports because a sudden slap on the hull, or over-enthusiastic sailing (25 knot wind is my *friend!*) might cause them to release - a potentially dangerous situation!

I put a 4" inspection port back by the rudder first, offset to port, then a 6" one up by the coaming on the centerline. My opinion is that the rear one would be most useful, as eventually work needs to be done on the eyestraps holding the bridle or the hardware securing the gudgeon.

If you really want to go "belt-and-suspender" bombproof, drill a 1/8" hole in the rim of the port (once it's installed) and another in the exact center of the lid. Rig a tether from some light braided line between the two, knotting each end inside and sealing well with silicone cement. Keep the tether short, as you won't want a lot of slack line flopping around and obstructing anything - just enough to allow easy installation and removal of the lid. This way, if you absolutely had to, you could remove the lid while under weigh without worrying about it carrying away overboard.

Hmmm... if you left a handy length of line free *inside* the forward port, maybe you could use it to secure a small dry bag suitable for a camera, an ID pouch, small stove, lantern, whatever. Sounds like my weekend task!

In any case, it will become most important to you to find out where the water is entering the hull. Do a search of the forum, as lots of folks have already made valuable posts about this.

Of course, you could always do as I did for a few years - I just sailed the thing, hoping (ha!) the water would go out the same way it got in between trips. :rolleyes:

Fair winds!
Steve

All Sunfish have a drain plug on the deck on the starboard side (right side, facing the bow) about amidships right near the edge. Unscrew the plug, tip the boat on its side and drain away. A little leakage is normal but it you get more than a few cups, you have a leak somewhere that should be fixed. Perform a leak test per the FAQ in this forum and plug leaks with the goop of your choice. Common leak sites are the dagger board trunk opening, the mast tube (with the mast out, fill to the top with water and see if it drain out or remains flush with the deck) the cockpit floor or bailer area and any area on the joint where the deck meets the hull.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

Thanks for the responses. Okay I see the drain plug, but it is SO small, about 1/2 inch in diameter. You sure that is going to work for me? I have a LOT of water. Partly because I know there are some cracks in the hull and partly because I am a crazy sailer and I fit 3 people on board sometimes causing the bow to sink insanely deep into the water hahaha.

Yes, even this small drain hole will drain a lot of water. You might also note that there is small hole drilled in the forward bulkhead of the cockpit tub to relieve air pressure and make the drain hole drain better and to relieve changes in atmospheric pressure. Make sure this relief hole is not plugged with dirt or crud and the drain hole will work a lot better.

Alan Glos

Okay, thanks for the replies. I actually did try tipping the boat on its side and the water did drain effectively.

Again, many thanks.

Back