Very Heavy Wind DW

Hi - just a couple of questions, probably covered before but I'm genuinely stuck for a solution.

I'm normally pretty competent around 15-20kts, but recently we had 25kts plus. Looking forward to a real blast but that's not quite how it turned out!!

First question - upwind was surprsingly OK, but anytime I had to bear away it seemed impossible. The second I was bearing away offwind, (letting out plenty of sheet, vang loosened) the boat was rocking and rolling like crazy! Plenty of weather helm despite sheeting out. Seemed impossible to achieve any equilibrium. I usually associate rolling and wobbling with DDW, but this was trying to get going onto a reach. Numerous wipeouts and capsizes on a continual basis. This hasn't hapened for years!! Does anyone have any suggestions....

Second - maybe related to above. Gybing was bad for almost everyone but my experience was truly awful! I had good speed and made a gradual bear away, but the boom would just not come across. At this point I was deeply by the lee and there was so much power it was impossible to pull or tug the mainsheet. Cant remember too much before wiping out but I dont think I could either head up or bear away at this point, couldnt sheet in or out. Whatever I tried, even reversing tiller, the boom just would not cross. Any suggestions ....

Thanks,

Rich

I can sympathise! What I have heard over and over is to keep the boat flat by hiking and sheeting out; otherwise the boat won't respond to the rudder.

As far as the jibes is concerned and going downwind in heavy air, try to let the mainsail out no more than eighty degrees or so . This will stabilize the boat and make jibing a lot less painful. Also, sit on your knees to stabilize your body (and boat) with your legs, using the strap and the sides of the cockpit. You need to figure out what works for your body/size. If done properly, you can counteract the wobbling.

I will confess that following this advice (from a very good coach) hasn't been easy for me. :eek:

There is also a technique where you reverse the rudder near the end of the gybe which forces the sail to cross. The Boat Whisperer Downwind DVD explains it really well and the technique does work.

Also, try and pick your spot when its that windy. Don't be forced to gybe when you are not ready - pick a good wave, a lull, when you have good speed etc.

Sailing in over 20kts is usually pretty tough, sometimes you just have to hang on and try to keep the boat balanced as best you can.

When you bear away you need to ease ease ease the sheet or it will be impossible to turn the boat, the same principle applies with all sailboats.

in order to gybe in extreme conditions, you need to be 100% commited to the gybe, you need to have the boat steadied as much as possible and be in control, sometimes a slight turn in either direction or easing the sheet will make the boat extremely squirly which ends with a capsize at high speeds,

keep your speed up, the faster you go the less pressure there is on the sail, the easier it will be to gybe

bear away just beyond a broad reach and sheet in slightly, pull the mainsheet hard to get the sail and boom to cross,

You need to switch sides before the boom and come out of the gybe on a run, if you come out on too much of a reach you will capsize.

one of the problems I've run into is litterally skipping/jumping waves so quickly that its hard to stay in control, the last time we had excessive wind this happened and the boat rolled to windward, I tried to save it by hiking to leeward but the boat kept sailing litterally on the gunwale for about 5 seconds, it seemed like the boat actually sped as it happened, as soon as the mast touched the water I was catapulted over the bow into the water. Its pretty challenging to get started back downwind after a rough capsize, it took me another capsize to get going again after that.

Back