uk qualifiers

keenbean

hi,

I'm keen to do some qualifiers but know i'm not good enough i was just wondering if it is a very competitive environment and if i will get scorned for even showing up??? Plus is Stokes Bay a good one to start with? I've heard conditions can be very rough there quite regularly?

I'm not from the UK, so don't know the details of the qualifiers process (or the weather in March), but I don't think you would ever get scorned for showing up at a Laser regatta and having a go. That's one of the best things about our sport - beginners can line up next to gold medallists and everyone is equal on the course. How many golfers get to play with Tiger Woods?

You don't need to be good enough to win, just good enough to get around the course and enjoy yourself. The best way to improve your sailing is to race against faster sailors, and we all have to start somewhere. So go for it!

I did my first qualifier back in 2001, it was Stokes Bay, strong winds and big waves. I was a pond sailor and completely out of my league. I learnt loads and really enjoyed myself and didn't come last. I still go to them all now and my sailing has improved lots because of it.

Yes there are the rockstars at the qualifiers but there is a real mix in the fleet with youngsters moving in from oppies/4.7s etc and you always get a handful of local sailors that don't travel do the Q just because its at their home club as well as all the regulars that travel to all the opens. Most people are really friendly and you get to see how all the good guys rig their boats. I doubt you would be last and you will find you improve lots by turning up.

thanks for that i think i just needed that booster. i can confidently say i will be last but thats not really what its all about for me...more a learning curve. Any thoughts on the camping??? hotels are too much!

For the cost of a night in a Hotel you can probably get yourself a good sleeping bag and have a great night of sleep... if it gets too cold you can hop into the car and get warmed up, but if you have a good bag, camping is nothing at all...

Back