Tillers and extensions

ChalmersP

Hey guys, Im looking at getting a new carbon tiller and extension... I was wondering if the acme was still the top choice? Or is it really worth the extra 50 bucks to get a rooster? Yeah, 50, not 100! Look on the rooster website! Also with extensions, stick with the acme extensions? Forespar was one that caught my eye, all that worries me is their universal... Looks iffy..
Thanks

I have the rooster tiller and its lasts for ages, very happy with it. I've no experience of the acme one to compare to though.

Rooster, best choice.

SailorChick- Where exactly do you sail from? I might move my boat close to the southampton area....

I had the Laser stock tiller for a while and also the Laser 'Goodison Tiller'.

I found the rooster just worked better for me and I thought the blocks crossed easier in light winds whereas the Goodison Tiller could be a bit 'sticky' sometimes...

Extension wise I use an Yachting NZ extension which is pretty much identical to the Rooster extension- 1.25m I think.

I have not had any experience with Acme as yet but I have used Rooster for my control lines, practice sails, tiller and clothing and couldn't recommend them more!

PHS

I have had a Rooster tiller and extension on my boat for the last 3 years (and on mt previous Laser(s) before that).

I can't speak highly enough of it. The thing still looks brand new (aside from have a UJ replaced about 1 year ago which was a bit fiddly).

I have not used any others aside from the standard Laser stock aluminium job (when I first started Laser sailing) but there are a variety at my local club none of which seem to measure up to the Rooster.

I have seen problems with the Laser Fatso and XD tillers where they snap just before the stock giving very little indication of any problem until they are in 2 pieces so steer clear of those!

Never seen an Acme but I know there are guys stateside (who frequent here) who speak very highly of them....

If you can try and get a look at all the options 'in the flesh' before you shell out your hard earned.

I use the acme tiller and its great, the rooster is a very similar design

these type of tillers are the best because they allow the blocks to slide over them easily and they are stiff allowing a good feel even in 30kts

I did a little more research on tillers and came up with a few brands that ive never heard of, C2 marine and Zen... The Zen aka "kiwi" tiller seems most appealing, thought its 250 USD, its the only current tiller with a roller instead of a plate, I couldnt find one of the old rooster ones with a roller... Anyone heard of these tillers?

If you sail anywhere with salt/sand you'll soon regret getting a roller tiller. The grit destroys the roller very quickly. Flat plate on the tiller is the better option. Its why rooster stopped making roller tillers.

Back