Tiller Extension - Problem Or Procedure?

Kris Styes

I seem to have the tiller extension hang up in the traveler at times.

Is is OK to trim (cut down) the tiller extension so it won't hand up in the traveler? Or, am I doing something wrong and need to learn a procedure to eliminate this issue.?

In advance, I appreciate all posts!

Kris
Hutchinson, KS

Not sure how you are managing this. The traveller is behind you, your tiller extension crosses in front of you so the two shouldn't get anywhere near each other. Obviously I may be completely misunderstanding you.

to me it sounds as if you are passing your tiller extension round the back of the boat when tacking.

I usually keep it facing forward, diagonally and make it just clear the forward block on the boom when tacking.

hope this helps,

regards,

Thomas

ThomasR & Sailorchick:

Clarification on my post. Sorry!

I seem to have the tiller extension problem when it is folded back over the mail tiller.

So, I think I have a 'procedure' issue. Keep the tiller extension extended at all times?

Thanks,

Kris

Hold the tiller extension in front of you all the time. The grip can be described as a dagger grip if that makes sense to you. This way you can use both hands with the main whilst maintaining steering. Have attached a pic which kind of shows what I mean.

There are very very few occasions were you would ever put the tiller extension backwards.

Attachments

• Kerry Mudeford 09 11.jpg
    Kerry Mudeford 09 11.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 79
indeed, and if you find yourself not hiking out and needing to put it back, you're not sitting forward enough.

regards,

Thomas

Back