This boat does not like to point

Sunfish65

Hi,

So today I went for a sail. Winds were quite strong and there was a 3 foot swell once I got out into the harbor.
When I came back in I was in a bit of a precarious position. To get into the harbor you go down a narrow channel
With two giant steel piers on either side. The problem was it was perfectly upwind to get back in. I found myself tacking back and forth, heading for each pier. The boat would'nt point close to the wind. After numerous tacks, and turnarounds to re-enter the harbor, I gave up dropped the sail and paddled in with my safety paddle. What is the deal with this boat and pointing?

Sunfish65

When properly rigged it will point just about 45 degrees off the wind. Probably about 2 degrees better with the plastic board. Bb

Maybe this is too simple, but I recently rigged a cunningham that has definitely helped me point. I raced today in light wind and placed better than I have all summer. This is at my small lake club. I didn't realize the difference it would make or I would have done it much sooner.

I've also noticed lack of sunfish pointing. I suppose characterisitic of lateen rig. Anyone know improvement with super sunfish rig? What is comparison to the Laser?

SF65,

A few other considerations: How old is your sail and has it lost some of its good aerodynamic shape?
As sails age, they tend to get draftier ("blown") and the maximum draft tends to move aft, and both conditions may hurt pointing ability.

Second, were you working against current trying to back in the channel? If so, your boat may have been pointing OK, but still not making much forward progress into the wind (and current.)

Third, what about your gooseneck position? Generally a gooseneck set at 15 or 16 inches from the tack (intersection of the boom and gaff) will point better than setting the gooseneck further aft, BUT you may need to move the gooseneck aft, up to 20 inches, in real heavy weather to maintain balance prevent excessive heel.

Last, how low do you carry your boom relative to the deck? Racers lower the boom (by adjusting the attachment point of the halyard on the gaff) so the forward tip of the boom is only 2-3" above the deck forward of the mast. This seems to improve boat speed and pointing ability.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

Hi,

I know from experience the Laser points higher. Having said that, my sail is band new, I purchased it from intensity. I have the halyard tied at 54 inches on the gaff. The goose neck is at 18 inches. There might have been a current flowing between the twin piers. I forgot to rig a cunningham, that will improve things I think. I found the 54 inch halyard to be too low for me. I might move it down to give me a few more inches under the boom.

Keeping it flat.jpg

A Sunfish points just fine, about 45 degrees off the wind as Beldar already mentioned. Previous posts have addressed the rigging/set-up. When I first read the original post, I also thought (like Alan) about the possible role that an adverse current might have had. What hasn't been addressed is technique. Very important, obviously. Proper execution of tacks, keeping the boat flat and the sail over the corner, when going upwind.

Above is a wonderful picture, taking during the Curacao Worlds, that shows good form.

Alright, alright. This isn't my first rodeo. I have been sailing and windsurfing for most of my life. I think the issue is that I have owned 1 laser my whole life. It points a tad higher, so when I close hauled my sail, I expected the same pointing ability. I think it is a wonderful boat. Perhaps it is a question of becoming more attuned to the nuances and characteristics of the boat.

Sunfish65

I find my boat performs better if I don't haul in too close. I don't pull the sheet in past the point where the lower boom gets pulled down, which tends to flatten the sail.

If you are used to twoblockIng a Laser you may have tried that on your Sunfish. And you would find it
Does not work - you tend to go sideways. Baseman is right. Don't sheet in so that the boom comes inside the corner of the transom. BB

Right! I was two blocking somewhat due to the lack of space between the large piers, and the direction of the wind! I had to sail a very tight course upwind with an obstacle course of large rocks, channel markers, and giant steel piers. You were right. I just started to drift sideways into the piers. I couldn't figure out why it wasn't working. :)

Hi,

So today I went for a sail. Winds were quite strong and there was a 3 foot swell once I got out into the harbor.
When I came back in I was in a bit of a precarious position. To get into the harbor you go down a narrow channel
With two giant steel piers on either side. The problem was it was perfectly upwind to get back in. I found myself tacking back and forth, heading for each pier. The boat would'nt point close to the wind. After numerous tacks, and turnarounds to re-enter the harbor, I gave up dropped the sail and paddled in with my safety paddle. What is the deal with this boat and pointing?

Sunfish65
Question is what board do you have. Unfortunately, the Sunfish has been shipped with some 4 different boards over the yrs.. If you have one of the small wooden boards, the boat just won't go to windward, and stalls easily. If you have the glass racing board, then you are ok and the pointing problem is something else.

I have a 72' boat. The new racing board is more than what I originally paid for the boat. The barrington board will be fine.

Back