Teen looking to buy a sunfish

sunfishhopeful

Hi everyone! My interest recently got spurred again and I found one on craigslist and is a Mini AMC sunfish and is 11'9" in length for around $450. I'm 5'11" 177, is this boat too small for me? I'm using my own money so cash is limited.
Thanks!

The MiniFish is a great little boat, light and agile, but at 177 lbs. you are approaching the top end of the weight range for it. The Sunfish would be a better fit as you are optimum size for it, but the Mini would be fun too.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

I realize that you are eager to get into that Minifish. But as Alan already pointed out, in the long run (!) you will be (much) better off with a Sunfish or that other 14 ft boat (L..er).

PS: Also consider whether you are still growing

Sunfishhopeful,

I'm new to Sunfish sailing, but not new to looking. I love small sailboats and always look around. For the price of that mini, I've seen a decent SF with a galvy trailer and it all looked in very good shape. $400. I thought about driving after it (80 miles one way), but then restrained myself. It sold immediately and a short while later, I saw the boat and trailer re-advertised for more money (different photo, so probably someone just got it and flipped it).

I myself already had a very similar set up with what looks like the same SF model and color. I paid about the same price, and just had to fix a small hole in the hull (tiny), rivet some of the aluminum trim back into place, and put a stopper in the bailer hole (bought new bailer $38 but not yet installed it bc I'm too busy having fun with that SF).

Go for a SF bc they are easy to find new and good used parts for and are very easy to sell if you want to do so later on. Easy to fix also and a lot of support. Very helpful and well-versed folks on this forum.

There are always SF around, even in Podunk. Where are you located?

Happy hunting, then sailing!

thanks for the advice petrel, I'll probably just wait until a SF pops up. I'm located 30 min. north of New Orleans and sailing is optimal in Lake Ponchartrain, and get to see a beautiful sunset just about every day :D. I already have a Hobie kayak and can buy the sail attachment for $320, or drop just about the same on a SF if I can every find one. Do yall think contacting my local yacht club and seeing if they'd be willing to part with any be a good idea?

Oh, one of those peddle Hobie kayaks? The part I'd like is the sail accessory.

I don't know about yacht clubs parting with things (none will let me join ;) ), but this is a good time of year (well, in New England anyway) to start looking for deals on used boats.
The owner ratty-looking marine store (half garage and repair, the rest store) that I go to for a few things like cheap tires told me that he's always coming across people with cheap or sometimes free boats. Maybe try that sort of a place if you want real deals. I should confess however that this area is not close to any large lakes or ocean and that motor boats make up nearly all that fellow's business. Still, you never know. It doesn't hurt to put the word out. Good luck. (I heard that oil from the BP blowout got swept in the the Lake P.. What a shame; I hope it got mopped up.

Marinas and sailing clubs are excellent places to look for a Sunfish. Also post ads on their bulletin boards.
There's a good amount of Sunfish activity on the Gulf, so getting a decent boat shouldn't be so hard, I imagine.

You should contact Brent Evans for leads as well, he is the Sunfish contact for your area:
225-315-7810 or [email protected]

PS: I have seen (and sailed along) a Hobie kayak with a sail, but a Sunfish will be so MUCH BETTER as far as sailing is concerned!

Craigslist usually has at least one Sunfish per month on a "must sell" basis based on the economy. Posted right next to the Jet Skis, Harleys, and 4 wheelers.

Back