tacking in 17 - 25 knots

sailfast

I go into irons when tacking(not always) when the wind is up around 17 to 25 knots. I move the boom forward does this change how I should tack?::confused

I've never had the problem myself, but I imagine you might be leading up before you tack. Keep your heading on the teltails until you are ready to tack, that will keep you at full speed and will be able to carry through irons easier. Also, try not to tack your nose into the front of a wave.

Ditto on zenpirate's comments above and add the following. With its mostly flat bottom and light weight, the Sunfish will lose forward momentum quickly in heavy air with head to wind. Before the tack, bear off a little and ease the sail a little, then put the helm over briskly and get on the new tack as quickly as possible. In lighter air you can move the tiller more slowly and still avoid getting into irons, but not in heavy air. If you do plan to get the boat into irons in heavy air, let your friends on shore know in advance as
recovery is usually entertaining for spectators.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

That's a pretty stiff wind. You may be too cautious and tacking too slowly as stated in previous response. You need speed to get through the heading wind. You should tack quickly and if you fear the wind force on the new tack let the sail out a bit IMMEDIATELY AFTER YOU'RE ON THE NEW TACK. It also helps to be prepared to hike out quickly to counterbalance the new heel.

Fred

Not to mention a lot has to do with how the sail is rigged. Gooseneck and halyard position can make a big difference in the ability to tack under different conditions.
My best teacher about that was the "Sunfish Bible". JMHO but it was worth it's weight in gold.

I have the "Bible" very informative. If you're at all into Harry Potter you'll know what I mean by "I wish the pictures came to life". Thanks for the reminder that it's always good to reference a problem.

Yes it is stiff wind, the most difficult times are in the gusts. Reaching in that wind is thrilling! Downwind jibe mark can be a major challenge too.
Mainly I must agree that I was tacking too slowly into the tack because I would be getting a header.

Funny that you should mention that. Race Committee did get a good show as I made my final tack to finish just yards before the line. Once again I went into irons and then sailing backwards away from the line before I regained control and finished. To my credit I never went over.

Funny that you should mention that. Race Committee did get a good show as I made my final tack to finish just yards before the line. Once again I went into irons and then sailing backwards away from the line before I regained control and finished. To my credit I never went over.

As a true sunfish noob, I have found the Sunfish Bible to be a great book (I can't put the book down sometimes) to help in my restoration efforts and a whole heck of a lot more. I asked my local Barnes and Noble how much the book is and they said $78.00 plus tax!! I was appalled. I found it for $29.99 at the dinghyshop.com which happened to be 5 minutes from my house!

Back