Sunfish transportation tips and advice.

Great advice and valuable information from signal charlie and Tom Pace!
SC, aren’t you working on a book that teaches knots? (when you’re not building and rebuilding boats, sailing, filming, and writing other books???)

mixmkr

you must have not liked the goofy transom traveler and put that "bad boy" Harken in. Glad to see the motor pulled up too. Can't grade you on fenders hanging over the edge in this pic ;-D

Thread starter #25
Wanted to thank everyone for the great information in responding to my post. Although I did not end up getting the sunfish I am now officially the proud owner of a 1993 SLI Daysailer. Thanks again everybody. Happy Independence Day!

signal charlie

Staff member
mixmkr, were you out there watching us that day? We did have fenders over as we were about to tie up in downtown Corpus Christi after a day sail. I got to motor, Skipper let me sail every now and then. We came out of our slip on the Navy base a few days earlier and had a nice run downtown. On the way back I learned about long tack/short tack, I thought sailing was all about equal zigs and zags :)

As for that traveler, I took it out so we weren't tripping over it and went back to goof transom traveler.

signal charlie

Staff member
mixmkr, were you out there watching us that day? We did have fenders over as we were about to tie up in downtown Corpus Christi after a day sail. I got to motor, Skipper let me sail every now and then. We came out of our slip on the Navy base a few days earlier and had a nice run downtown. On the way back I learned about long tack/short tack, I thought sailing was all about equal zigs and zags :)

As for that traveler, I took it out so we weren't tripping over it and went back to goofy transom traveler.

signal charlie

Staff member
There is very little foam designed into the DSII, it is basically a pontoon hull like the Sunfish. They weigh 575 pounds. Open the inspection ports and make sure they didn't add foam or water didn't leak in there.

Oops remembered there are a lot of foam blocks in the bow compartment. We put a big inspection port up there when we had to replace the bow eye and it was all dry.

L&VW

Oops remembered there are a lot of foam blocks in the bow compartment. We put a big inspection port up there when we had to replace the bow eye and it was all dry.
There must be a good story behind needing to replace that bow eye! :confused:

Oops here, too. I was gifted a Mariner, not a DSII. :oops: Seems heavy, but we've graduated to leaves, so it's moving a bit better. :rolleyes:

Found an article you could identify with. The Mariner owner is splitting the deck from the hull! :eek:

signal charlie

Staff member
Well that bow eye, they just don't make things like they used to...winching the boat the last foot or so on the trailer it snapped, only lasted 46 years. Turns out I had some water in the bilge, close to 300 pounds or so based on the number of wet vac buckets I filled up. Inspection ports leaked.

bowe eye cyane.JPG

Ordered and new bow eye, double bolted.

bow eye new cyane.JPG

bow eye inside cyane.JPG

boye eye new 2 cyane.JPG

Log of CYANE

Since we were on transportation tips, a few tips we have regarding the hull of the Sunfish, whether you transport deck up or deck down, try to place bunk supports underneath where there is additional structure inside the boat, like under the mast step, daggerboard trunk, keel and cockpit perimeter. Keep an eye on rollers, especially if using straps, we have come across boats with a crush spot on the keel where straps were tightened too much. Easy repair, but easier to avoid.

On the Day Sailer II check for roller support along the keel and 8-10 foot bunks placed under the inner edge of the cockpit seats, wide side of a 2x4 or 2x6 to spread out the load. Try to have a roller or cross brace placed below the centerboard, in case the uphaul slips it will keep the board from dragging the highway.

CYANE getting buzzed by 1972 AMF WindFlite, the WindFlite was a very interesting boat, rolled deck edge, molded coaming, integral bow eye and bridle eyestrap eyes but still had the old style rudder. Similar hull to the Minifish but it was Sunfish sized. For whatever reason AMF dropped it but the deck rolled deck edge reappeared in 1998.

Cyane and Freebird.jpg