Sunfish sail with "Hydraulically operated eyelets" !!??

beldar boathead

Married to Primat Boathead
A very interesting knockoff Sunfish sail for sail on eBay. Per the description it has
"Hydraulically operated eyelets and corner reinforcement."

Almost seems worth buying to check out these new-technology eyelets!! Here is the link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sunfish-Sai...692?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item416a47d8cc

Also interesting that they are trying to masquerade as an official Sunfish sail - clearly it is not from the Original Equipment Manufacturer!!! BB

I saw that ... OEM hahaha... I guess they were trying to say how the grommets were put on??? It still doesn't make sense.

Price is good. If the size is correct. 3.8 dacron sounds. Good for a recreational

With the $37 'estimated shipping', the 'starting bid' is essentially $150, and it isn't a known entity, like for example the $135 (plus shipping) Intensity. And the item is 'currently located in China'.

I worked for a sail maker 30 years ago and we used a hydraulic press to install the stainless steel corner rings in sails so I am sure that is what they are referring to.

Well, at least the seller has a 50% positive feedback rating. Sounds like a very reputable source. :p

Not that it matters, but there are two negatives - he sold the same guy two different Opti items and could not deliver either. There were also two positives. I want to see a demo of these eyelets in action!!

Sailcraft, you must be looking at a seller other than the one for this ridiculous sail. For the seller of this sail, there is a negative feedback for auction #280920824341, then the seller responded. Then there is a second negative feedback on a different item, #280921507924. The seller did not respond to that.

Then there is a fairly recent postive feedback. There is a second positive feedback, but since it is over a year old, so you cannot read the detail.

So in total, there are 2 positives and 2 negatives.

Beldar Boathead

I would wonder about the seller's source for his sails. While we really can't tell from the photo, the sail looks a lot like a certain RI company's private label sail. Similarly with a few of this seller's other products. If so, we might wonder if these are editions that perhaps didn't make the RI company's quality control cut, or something along those lines. Or if not refused onto the truck, perhaps fell off it, so to speak. In any event, the opening bid price with shipping isn't attractive, even without considering the unknowns.

The manufacturer of some of these products may not be bound to ONLY sell through this certain company you speak of, and the only difference between products sold by a certain company and an eBayer may be the tag. There are manufacturers, not bound by the laws of the US, who often stay after hours and run off a few "extra" pieces but forgo attaching the labels which the customer company requires. There are "cheap knock-offs" of designer brands, but these days, the real manufacturer and the knock-off manufacturer could be one in the same. Just saying. Also, those other products look so familiar that, I thought perhaps the certain company may be marketing on eBay... however, the grammar and feedback statement indicate otherwise.

Back