Stupid Question From Novice Laser Sailor

I have just purchased a Laser which I intend to frostbite next winter. Extensive racing background in Flying Scots & J-24's but never been on a Laser. In order not to capsize too many times the first couple of times out I would like to use a radial sail so that I am focused on boat handling not staying alive (winds are generally strong this time of year in Long Island and the water is cold). I have a radial sail, I do not yet have a radial lower mast. My stupid question is can I rig up the radial sail on a full rig mast? This is not to race, but soley to get out in the boat. I will eventually buy the radial lower mast, but I am hoping to avoid spending the money in the near term. Can I do this? Note I have not yet ever even set up the laser with the full rig so I have no idea how possible or not this idea is. Help!

No

Not a stupid question if you aren't familiar with Lasers and their rigging.

There are two major differences in the masts. The radial mast is shorter and much bendier. If you use the radial with a regular mast, the foot of the sail will be about a foot above the boom. That wouldn't be too easy to sail in a breeze.

Sawing off a regular mast won't work either. It won't bend the same way, so the sail won't depower in a puff.

While we are on the subject of potentially stupid questions, here's one from me.

How do people attach the their mainsheet to the top block on the end of the book (The one near the clew)

I have been tying it using a bowline, looking in Paul Goodison's RYA Laser book in some of the pictures it looks like he threads it through the becket (Poss incorrect term here) and secures it with a stopper knot.

I haven't been down to the boat since noticing this to see if this is possible as we've had a bit of a cold snap here in the UK, 4 inches of snow that's ground the country to a halt.

Thanks

Martyn

While we are on the subject of potentially stupid questions, here's one from me.

How do people attach the their mainsheet to the top block on the end of the book (The one near the clew)

I have been tying it using a bowline, looking in Paul Goodison's RYA Laser book in some of the pictures it looks like he threads it through the becket (Poss incorrect term here) and secures it with a stopper knot.

I haven't been down to the boat since noticing this to see if this is possible as we've had a bit of a cold snap here in the UK, 4 inches of snow that's ground the country to a halt.

Thanks

Martyn

This is one of the first thing new Laser racers learn about rigging.

When going upwind, you need to trim in block-to-block. If you tie the sheet to the boom with a bowline, when yoiu trim in the knot will keep the blocks and inch or two apart. It may not seem like much, but it can keep you from being able to point.

Instead thread the sheet through the becket with a figure eight knot as you describe. It should be threaded going towards the front of the boat. You can now trim in until the block touch each other.

Just because something is a basic question doesn't mean it's a stupid question.

I use a stopper knot that I've always called a double figure eight. Make sure the knot is in front of the block so it doesn't rub against the mainsheet.

Thanks

Martyn

Hi Martin,

I just use a simple overhand knot pulled really tight so it gives a very small 'lump' for the rest of the mainsheet to get caught on. I have a polilite 7mm mainsheet. If I had anything smaller I would use a bigger knot. I know some people who use a bowline but you cannot sheet block to lock this way.

Cheers,

Paul

That sounds like the way to go then. I noticed with a bowline the blocks were twisting when trying to get block to block.

Thanks all for your help

Regarding brownman54's original post; instead of the radial sail, you can reef by taking a wrap or two around the mast with a standard sail. You might not want to do this with your best racing sail but if you have an old sail it works.

Whats the secret of a good knot? - Its easy to undo. For that reason I use a fig of 8 forward of the block - no problems. The overhand knot can be very difficult if its tight.
Hi Jeffers! Have you seen my post on Fastsail.

Hi Strang,

Not visited fastsail for a long time (not crewing the Fireball these days).

I will pop over and take a look....

Cheers,

Paul

Back