Storage in a Lift

craigt

I am planning on storing my vintage Sunfish in a lift, and am asking if anyone has any knowledge about the strength of the tiller bracket. I am planning on attaching a 3/8 eyebolt to the bracket to hoist the boat.

One possibility is to add an inspection port in the rear and beef up (if that is possible) the support.

Does anyone have an opinion regarding the strength of the bracket? Will it carry the weight of the back half of the boat without additional support, and if not, what is the recommendation?

Straps around the hull for suspending boat is the recommend and I would definitely not use the gudgeon to suspend any boat as that is not its proper use even if it is strong enough that kind of pressure on the transom is not good.
><> Minas man <><

I agree with minas man - that much load at the rudder bracket doesn't seem like a prudent way to go about it.
canvas straps under the boat seem a much better way to hold and lift the Sunfish.

Straps are not an option - insufficient clearance. What I am thinking is to add a plate (aluminum) inside the transom. Just wondered if anyone had other ideas,

Thanks

There is a SS backing plate already on the inside of the post 72 boats. Hard to brain storm if we do not know more details and why a straps do not give you clearance. Are you planning to put the the eye of the bolt into a hook in a ceiling to get head room below? The Harken Hauler will get a boat on the ceiling with straps.
Give us more info.
Thanks

><> Minas man <><

Minas man, I'm pretty sure this is a pre 72 boat - it has the older rudder system. Isn't that diagnostic (I just bought it)? Straps would bring the edge of the boat within inches of a steel bulkhead, and in a blow, I'm afraid it would move enough to hit the wall (maybe not!), whereas if I can hoist it straight up, I would have a couple of feet clearance from that wall. The steel frame I want to hang it from extends 4 feet from the wall, and has eyelets at both ends of the 4' length. so straps would be perfect except for how close the widest part of the boat would be to the bulkhead. Do you follow me?

What I was thinking was to thread a 3/8 eyebolt through the 2 holes in the gudgeon (thanks for the vocabulary). I think the steel is strong enough, my concern is the strength of the attachment into the transom.

Back