Spar carrier

Elessar

What would you guys suggest for a spar carrier?

Buy one or I could make one myself out of a couple of layers of 1/2 inch thick plywood. (Obviously it would have carpet on it).

By the way it needs to carry 5 spars, have some way of tieing them to the carrier and would be useful to have some way of tieing the spar carrier to the trailer.

Cheers

What would you guys suggest for a spar carrier?

Buy one or I could make one myself out of a couple of layers of 1/2 inch thick plywood. (Obviously it would have carpet on it).

By the way it needs to carry 5 spars, have some way of tieing them to the carrier and would be useful to have some way of tieing the spar carrier to the trailer.

Cheers

I really wish somebody made a 6 spar carrier !! (top section, std bottom section, radial bottom section, rolled std sail and rolled radial sail). Don't quite see the 5 section uses unless for spares (2 sails, spare mast section ?)

Ian

When I'm using a single trailer my sails go in a tube beside the boat and parallel to the A frame. And when I'm double trailing (laser on top and national 12 on the bottom) the sails all fit in the national 12 nicely because there is a lot of space inside.

So on my 5 spar carrier I will have Top Section, Boom, Bottom section for 4.7, radial and full rig.

1. A piece of rope.

2. ratchet block.

3. side cleats.

been half way round Europe like this and they have never come loose and nothing has ever been damaged or broken after 10 years.

Similar to lasernut. My spars are attached by a piece of rope using the toe strap and side cleats. This way I carry 2 top sections, 2 bottom sections and a boom with no problems.
I also usually have 2 sails on the boat but they get attached separately as don't want anything too tight around them to damage the sail.

You really don't need a spar carrier system on the laser - the ones I have seen have actually caused damage to the hull when attachments have come loose and the blocks have rubbed during travel.

tied down in the back of my truck, nothing is easier, they fit in nicely next to the surfboards and mountain bikes.

1. A piece of rope.

2. ratchet block.

3. side cleats.

been half way round Europe like this and they have never come loose and nothing has ever been damaged or broken after 10 years.

Similar here. Just carried a Tasar on top on my Laser with the spars lashed to the dolly, Seattle to Vancouver. Did I mention that the tow vehicle was a Mazda MX-5 (Miata) :D

Back