snapped bottom section

hey guys,

was sailing yesterday and bottom section snapped where the rivets are for the kicker any ideas for a repair or is i worth it?...
Cheers

You could probably have it welded back together, but it's unlikely to ever have the same strength, and will also be very hard to keep it aligned and straight when welding. If it were me I'd still try it as I have the equipment to do it myself and it'd be a free fix if it worked, but you're probably better off buying another one.

ok thanks for that...i have been looking around for a second hand one and they aren't that common...i haven't had anthing snap before so any tips on looking for one would be appreciated...
cheers

I'd get a new one. Why risk it.

if it's a full rig section, it's easier to probably get than a radial section. If you were near me I'd sell ya one of my used ones in a heartbeat.

yeh thats what i was thinking but was having a look anyway in case i came across one...would be a radial...thanks though im in ireland :)..

this is common with salt water boats as the rivets (SS) in the mast (Al) with salt water creates galvanic corrosion much quicker and intense than fresh water boats

Does your insurance not cover you for this? I know if I snap a mast (obviously not an old knackered one) then my laser insurance will pay up for a new one if I choose to claim.

once the mast is compromised its time for a new one, there is a good amount of force on the mast especially with while block to block and/or with lots of vang on, its really not worth risk to repair it

Back