Shipping a fish

Shotar

I have been shopping for a minifish / sunfish online and have found several, but they are well out of my area and certainly beyond a weekend drive. Has anyone ever arranged shipping for one and if so, how much did it cost and how did you go about it. I prefer online shopping to driving around and trying to find one with a for sale sign in a yard. Somewhere out there my lost youth is trying to find me again, but I don't know where yet.

I once had a used Sunfish hull (no gear) shipped from Charlotte, NC to Syracuse, NY via Mayfower Van Lines for $200. The major movers will add such items to a truck going your way if you can set up the logistics of drop off and pick up. A few calls to Mayflower or Allied or the like should yield some results and a price.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

Try watching your newspaper classified ads and the "for sale" on this forum. Also, if you have a yacht club nearby look there. Be patient.

Fred

Check the SF Class Home Page, look under the Midwest Region (bottom center of page), there are a number of races listed in Ohio with the host club/organization listed with the contact person and type of course. Heuston Woods, St. Paris, Andover, Sandusky are some of the locations listed. If you have the time, drop in on a race, spectate, ask questions, let it be known you are looking for a SF (post a couple of flyers, with permission), post a wanted add on this forum and on Yahoo Sunfish Sailor. Who knows, the guy in the next town or down the street may have a SF for sail and save all that shipping. It could be a better deal than what you have found. As Fred said, be patient, good thing take time.

Back