Saturday maiden voyage a success!

gsr977

Apr1977-Sunfish
First time out on my fish yesterday was absolutely awesome. It was the first time I have sailed solo, and after a few hitches things went really well (rigged my tiller over the main sheet cable). Winds on the local lake were around 15-20 with gust up to 30 with occasional white caps. It was a life saver my sunfish only had the hook so if things started to get out of hand (which they did) I would just let go of the main sheet. My father provided back-up on his fish. Stayed out all day, after about an hour I had it down and was flying. The days tally x2 full turtle capsizes (dad) and x1 rudder disconnection under sail (me, from wrong tiller rigging). Best time I have had in years!! I'm hooked. Next windy, sunny day I'm out there again.

gsr977,
sounds like an absolutely awesome maiden voyage! those are pretty strong winds for your 1st time, too! glad to hear you and your father are enjoying the sport of sailing together - it's a great father/son activity, as well as provides someone there to help out if the other gets into some trouble.

I remember my 1st time sailing my (new to me) Super Porpoise - I had sailed once with a friend on his Sunfish prior to it. I took along of friend who had never sailed. as we left the ramp, there was a light wind, which promptly went away. we ended up paddling for about 3 hours to the nearby beach to meet up with our wives, only to find they had already left! I went into more detail here.

glad to hear you had fun, and I'm not surprised that you're hooked!

cheers,
tag

I'm convinced that having the other Sunfish there multiplied the potential fun, I can see having even a few more to sail with would be even more enjoyable.

gsr977,
sounds like an absolutely awesome maiden voyage! those are pretty strong winds for your 1st time, too! glad to hear you and your father are enjoying the sport of sailing together - it's a great father/son activity, as well as provides someone there to help out if the other gets into some trouble.

I remember my 1st time sailing my (new to me) Super Porpoise - I had sailed once with a friend on his Sunfish prior to it. I took along of friend who had never sailed. as we left the ramp, there was a light wind, which promptly went away. we ended up paddling for about 3 hours to the nearby beach to meet up with our wives, only to find they had already left! I went into more detail here.

glad to hear you had fun, and I'm not surprised that you're hooked!

cheers,
tag

Man, that sounds almost the complete opposite of my maiden voyage, I can not imagine paddling all that way, good thing you had back-up. I'm sure my time will come though..! The winds were kind of scary out there for the first hour or so until I got the hang of things. It was a day I think I will never forget.

Man I'm green with envy:mad::mad::mad:
I thought I was taking mine for it's first spin this weekend also but I still have to give her one more coat of paint (today) and get the trailer ready. Maybe next Sunday:confused:

It sure sounded fun. Enjoy!

Man I'm green with envy:mad::mad::mad:
I thought I was taking mine for it's first spin this weekend also but I still have to give her one more coat of paint (today) and get the trailer ready. Maybe next Sunday:confused:

It sure sounded fun. Enjoy!

It was, your day is coming it sounds like.
Good luck for next weekend, keep us updated on how things go.

Back