Sailing Rules Question

jimk5560

Hello,

Who has right of way, a starboard broad reach boat going downwind towards the leeward mark or a port tacking close hauled boat that just rounded the leeward mark and is coming back upwind? Thanks in advance.

(In short) Boat on starboard assuming no obstructions, both boats under control, etc. (i.e. you cannot expect a boat just righted from a capsize with the helm still in the water to take avoiding action), etc.

Ian

I think a diagram would help here. I have trouble with some of the nuances of the racing rules.

If the boat that has just rounded the mark and has tacked onto port is it still inside the now 3 boat length circle?

Here are some sites to visit to help you with rules.

http://game.finckh.net/indexe.htm

http://www.ukhalsey.com/RulesQuiz/quiz_list.asp

http://game.finckh.net/reg_gbr/rrs_000contents.htm

http://www.racingrules.org/guide/

Since you are having trouble with this (#10), the most basic of rules, it may be helpful for you to work through the above sites. The first two give graphic case examples in a quiz-like manner. Then they thoroughly explain which rules apply and why. After a while, you will get a sense of the logic behind the rules governing the most commonly encountered right-of-way (ROW) situations. My goal is to be able to determine who has ROW well ahead of time, and thus what must be done by myself, or what I expect the other skipper to do, in a timely manner. These quizzes have helped me a lot.

I think a diagram would help here. I have trouble with some of the nuances of the racing rules.

If the boat that has just rounded the mark and has tacked onto port is it still inside the now 3 boat length circle?

The circle only applies to boats that were overlapped when they first entered the circle on the way to the mark. If you were overlaped on the way in the rule applies to you and stays on between you and the boat/s you were overlapped with until you round and clear the mark.

This is a simple port/starboard deal. Port must give right of way.

I believe that in the current rules the 'zone' rules (rule 18) do not apply between a boat approaching a mark and boat leaving a mark. That makes this simple port/starboard (in absence of any other information regarding obstructions).

No, I'm sorry I did not mean this to be that complicated. This is simply being far away from any mark, the simple question, who has the right of way, a starboard broad reacher or a port close hauled. I think I already got the correct answer, the starboard broad reacher.

You are correct. When boats are on different legs of the course, and on different tacks, the starboard tack boat has right of way.

dwb,
Thanks for the ROW web quiz links. Very helpful for understanding the concepts behind the ROW rules, and the graphics make it even more meaningful. Running through the quiz just a couple of times, and I was scoring pretty well. Having rules study resources like these makes joining a regatta much less daunting.

Hate to be a newbie in a race only to create havoc by not knowing when I have the ROW and when I do not. Did that in a cycling race once, and got a bunch of nasty comments, ouch.

Thanks,
Shaun

Leeward boat has ROW in order to be able to defend her position when a windward boat is trying to roll her by taking her wind.

That makes sense .... I've been trying to reason that one for some time and i get all kinds of strange answers.

what is the philosophy behind the leeward boat ROW over windward on same tack. Is it just for racing?

Like many racing rules, they have there basis from the International Regulations at Sea and this one dates back to sailing ships that didn't go upwind very well. For a something that doesn't go upwind well, a small feviation in course is a massive loss compared to a vessel going downwind.

Boat on starboard assuming no obstructions, both boats under control, you cannot expect a boat just righted from a capsize with the helm still in the water to take avoiding action

I believe that in the current rules the 'zone' rules (rule 18) do not apply between a boat approaching a mark and boat leaving a mark. That makes this simple port/starboard (in absence of any other information regarding obstructions).

this is true, its down to a simple port/starboard situation unless there is some other special circumstance.

Back