rudder positions?

swbrickey

Hello,

Can someone please tell me why the rudder is designed so that its position can be manipulated (perpendicular to parallel)? I'm assuming there is a reason but can only speculate as to which position is ideal for different conditions. Thanks for any illumination.

V/r,
swbrickey

hmm that's a really strange question you're asking mate :D

try keep the helm as neutral as possible and steer with your body and push/pull the tiller when you need to tack

I assume swbrickey, you mean why can the rudder angle be altered as in how deep it goes, which is limited to 78 degrees angle to the bottom edge of the rudder head.

When the boat is racing, it's best to keep the rudder at this maximum angle as it neutralises or at least reduces the load on the board. To much load can result in you snapping the board. However, being able to raise the board allows the boat to be sailed in shallow water, particularly when the boat is being launched or retrieved.

Ah, thank you for the response. I couldn't for the life of me see how having the rudder at any other angle besides straight down would be a benefit - though I had a hunch it might be just for swallow water.

To tell the truth, I would much rather have a fixed rudder, as I find that the cleat on the tiller doesn't do a very good job at holding the line that keeps the rudder locked down...

To tell the truth, I would much rather have a fixed rudder, as I find that the cleat on the tiller doesn't do a very good job at holding the line that keeps the rudder locked down...

I think this depends where you sail. Nice inland waters with launching ramps/jetties and deep water make a fixed rudder more practical than some coastal areas with mud and tides that go out.

I used to have problems with the tie down line but changed the cleat to the special clam cleat supplied by the builder (UK one anyway) where the purchase loops through a slot in the bottom of the cleat and, after I started using it correctly, have not had problems.

Ian

Has anyone ever checked their rudder angle? I checked mine on my new boat and found it way off the legal limit in rake - when I got it to the max legal limit it moved the tip ~ 1 1/2" forward.

1 1/2 " sounds like the cord for pulling the board down was the wrong side of the bar in the head and the board was resting against it. When it's that far out, then there is something wrong and it's worth checking the obvious and I've had quite a few presented that way at measurement.

However, yes sometimes the manufacturers screw up and the whole thing doesn't go together as it should. When you think how small a difference a up the top makes, results in a huge difference down the bottom, and it's all controlled by a hole in the rudder head and the rudder.

No the rope was correct at the head of the rudder, my thoughts on it were that the builder had set the thing up so that it would be class legal ( which is important to him) but it was far off being down to the max which is important to the sailor. When I talked to other laser sailors about their rudder angles they looked at me blankly- Is this checked at national and international regattas or is it assumed that as it is a strict one design class, that they all be right and legal?

Firstly, you rudder angle was legal, it just wasn't at near the maximum rake and I can understand you being upset with that.

In our region it's checked at major regattas and it's also checked when competitors are supplying their own boats at major international regattas.

It's extremely rare in my experience as a measurer for one to be that far back, usually they are almost perfect or within 2-3mm, with the older boards you used to find the occassional one kicking slightly forward. But I still make the point that if the hole in the board is even slightly out of position, the board will be significantly incorrectly raked. This incorrect positioning could be the fault of the builder where the hole position has been incorrectly drilled, but it could also be the result of excess wear on the hole and board sitting in the incorrect position.

AlanD, thanks for the feed back - the boat is definitely easier to sail with the rudder in the correct position (when I let it heel now I don't get as much weather helm- I know I'm not supposed to let it heel but I'm getting old and my legs get sore hiking out)

Although it is not 'legal' and many laser enthusiasts will yell at me for saying this, I will continue. Keep in mind I suggest this ownly for people who only sail for recreation and do not ever intend to race.

I would suggest, if you dont like the cord pull down style, that you find a hobie rudder system and use only one side of the system as this rudder and tiller assembly has the ability to lift the rudder simply by lifiting the tiller.

Now bring on the critics =)

Steady winds and crisps sails to all,
Andre

Back