Rudder Conversion Question

andyatos

I'm laying the ground work for my brother in law to do a rudder conversion for one of our Sunfishes. The main issue is he's going to have to drive 4+ hours to where the boat is, spend a couple days doing the work, then drive home. So, I've got to make sure I've got all the details covered before he goes to do the job.

I've been using this excellent pictorial essay as a guide, one I'm sure you've all seen:

http://smallboatrestoration.blogspot.com/2013/05/sunfish-rudder-conversion.html

The guide talks about the old wooden backer plate and using a new (aluminum/stainless?) one for the upgrade. See the attached photo below. Where does one get a new backer plate for the upgrade? Haven't seen mention of one at Intensity or APS.

gudgeon_backing_together.jpg

Any other insights would be appreciated.

Thanks,

- Andy

These back up plates were a standard item for rudder conversions sold by AMF, etc. I had a few of them but have since sold them all. The curved portion was to avoid the bump in the hull that was the old style rudder pin recess. You don't need that part but instead can replace (which I have done) with two pieces of aluminum flat bar (Lowe's or Home Depot). I used 1" wide x 1/8" thick. Don't center the holes in the backup plate if you go this route as then the back up plate will interfere with the hull bump. You will have to favor one edge of the backup plate.

Hola
It's aluminum. Try Yankee Boating Center Part 85098 http://www.sunfishsailboats.com/hull.php

There is also a flat backer plate, if you accidentally get that you could us some wood "spacers" to make it work. I suppose you could make a wood backer as well, since you'll have an inspection port to get to it. If you use any wood, seal it with epoxy before you install it.

Tips: 1) Those screws I got were way too long, it was a pain to get a wrench in there to hold them while I tightened, made it a 3 handed job. It would have been easier if I got a shorter screw and/or a deep socket. 2) Buy extra hardware in case you finger fumble some into the hull.

Did you notice I missed a washer in the picture :)

Good Luck!
Kent

Hi Kent,

First of all, thanks for your excellent pictorial How To essay! Funny that you provided a link to Yankee Boating Center because after my original post I spent some more time... quite a lot of time actually... searching online for that holy grail backing plate. Eventually, I tried a different set of keywords and found that very shopping cart you put in your post. Called them and they had 3 left. Yes! So I ordered one.

Seeing as how you are the Go To Guy when it comes to sunfish restoration, I'll likely be contacting you with a couple of questions on more work that needs to be done on our Sunfishes. BTW, I went through a bunch of your photos. Nice work on your boats. It's a labor of love isn't it... making our boats all nice again, huh?

Cheers,

- Andy

Hi Kent,

First of all, thanks for your excellent pictorial How To essay! Funny that you provided a link to Yankee Boating Center because after my original post I spent some more time... quite a lot of time actually... searching online for that holy grail backing plate. Eventually, I tried a different set of keywords and found that very shopping cart you put in your post. Called them and they had 3 left. Yes! So I ordered one.

Seeing as how you are the Go To Guy when it comes to sunfish restoration, I'll likely be contacting you with a couple of questions on more work that needs to be done on our Sunfishes. BTW, I went through a bunch of your photos. Nice work on your boats. It's a labor of love isn't it... making our boats all nice again, huh?

Cheers,

- Andy
Hi Andy

We have a lot of knowledge with the folks who visit here, and lots of great tips, I have learned a lot in a few short years. Fire away with questions and we can crowdsource solutions. It is also interesting to hear what was learned along the way.

We have enjoyed restoring Sunfish, mostly our own, for 20 yeas now, and recently starting restoring them and sending them back out into the wild. It is a lot of fun to see them going to new homes. Currently have 3 patiently waiting, just sold a Minifish, have another Mini finished today, working on a Drascombe Lugger, building a Penobscot 14 and then I want to reverse engineer a wooden Sunfish. Oh, and do some laundry :)

Food luck and share some pictures along the way.

Cheers
Kent

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    765.3 KB · Views: 39
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    283.4 KB · Views: 34
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 39
Andy,

When you are gathering gear for the conversion, don't forget the instructions and pictures found in "The Sunfish Owner's Manual", there is a graphic novel on Rudder Conversions in the Restoration Chapter :) :)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1484987217/ref=rdr_ext_tmb

...Insert plug bell...

If y'all are adventurous, you could split the stern deck and install the backer plate that way. According to our friend Howie Picard hat's how the Factory reps did the conversion way-back-when. I prefer to have that inspection port though, to keep an eye on the innards of a 40+ year old boat. And you'll like the new style rudder, it performs better and definitely flips up better for beaching.

Kent

Attachments

• Kent Audrey and Zip.jpg
    Kent Audrey and Zip.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 33

Back