Rope Handle

Sailkb

I have made my own racing style daggerboard, currently putting the last couple coats of varnish on. I am anxious to try out this weekend and see if I feel a difference from my "new" board style. I need to tie a rope handle to the top. I have drilled a hole on the cockpit side of the board. Can someone explain the method in making the handle? I've seen pictures of sort of a braided look but can't seem to find any pictures now that I need it. Any help or picture to look at would be great.

OK, just doing some brainstorming I happened to have an idea and I think it will work. Thought I would share in case any others interested. I think it is called a slip knot; many use it to wind around spars and sails between outings. Only I really made small loops. It made the braided look that I think I've seen before. My picture is just a sample that I was messing with. I will make a bigger handle for my board, tying the ends through the hole on the aft side of the daggerboard.
IMG_0145.jpg

Here's a picture of mine. Not sure there is any name for it... I tied a knot after inserting it into the hole in the daggerboard, and then just repeated making knots until I ran out of rope. Not perfect, but it has been working okay so far.

rope handle.jpg

try library for books on braiding - esp Ashley Book of Knots. I used two pieces = 4 parts and did a square braid, makes a great handle.

Back