Righting after WW capsize

Two questions about capsizing down wind:
1. Anyone have a good, fast technique to right the boat after a capsize to WW. To be more specific, I had been practicing BTL in 15-20 knots and had a few spectacular capsizes. The boat took a LONG time to right - it didn't go turtle but the boom was sticking up in the air and the boat seemed to be "sailing" along with me on the centre board!!

2. Yes, I know the ultimate goal is to never part company with your Laser. But before you capsize - I think it might make sense when there is absolutely no hope of recovery to grab in as much sheet in as possible before you spalsh down. This would make the righting easier - true?

Thanks

If you are on the board then you should be able to reach the mainsheet and pull the boom in to make righting easier.

Make sure you hang on to the mainsheet when capsizing (never the tiller) so that you are always in contact with the boat. In breeze a capsized laser can drift a lot quicker than you think, especially if the boom is still up.

do the california roll (i think its called) and ride with the daggerboard under the boat so that u dont have to swim around the boat when it capsizes again

I did my first californian roll on the weekend. It was a lot easier than i thought it would be. A LOT quicker than any other way to right it in to ww

No one's mentioned reaching over and easing the vang.

only if you capsized going upwind in breeze. if you go over downwind, depending on your weight, hopefully you eased it a little at the mark.
also, with all of the pressure, strain, and stress easing the vang from a capsized position may cause the boom or the vang tang to disengage. it may be better to get the boat up and then ease or tension lines when you're to take off.

Don't expect you'll have the time to sheet in as you capsize. it happens pretty suddenly as everyone here knows. I find it faster after the initial capsize to swim under the boat and grab the board instead of swiming around. I've even been able to keep on my hat and sunglasses. Just swim with your head down and keep a hand on the hull. Then do the California roll (when it flips again) and you're back aboard pretty quickly.

Back