Rigging question

KScott

I just bought a 1981 Sunfish and none of the lines are attached. I am wondering how and where to attach the halyard to the upper boom. Also how do I attach the mainsheet to the traveller. The traveller has a little loop in it that looks like maybe something should clip to it? What kind of line do I need for the halyard? Also any advice on trailers that don't cost twice as much as the boat.? I am not handy and can't build my own. Thanks for any advice.
Karen

Go to google and google "how to rig a sunfish" and pick the first result which has your answers.

Not sure a about a trailer. Some people recommend Harbor Freight's but I really have no idea. BB

Karen............the halyard should be attached just below the 10th clip on the upper spar................regardiing the bridle it is my understanding that the bridle with the loop is no longer recommended.............a 31" piece of 3/16 line was the recent standard for the bridle and for recreational sailing that is fine...............for racing I was told recently that a class approved bridle is necessary.............the mainsheet should be fastened to the bridle with a bowline knot..............the halyard should be low-stretch 1/4' line about 24' in length................beldar"s advice is excellent and should prove to very comprehensive....................

I compiled a list of several different rigging guides here. the current version from the manufacturer is this one: Sunfish Rigging Manual (.pdf file).

if you're just getting started - don't worry about changing the traveler. the old style with the loop will still work. as dbstoner said - a bowline knot is used to attach the mainsheet to the traveler.

good luck,
my2fish

Thanks everyone-- this is great info. I really appreciate you all taking the time. All I need now is a trailer and I'll be off and running.
Karen

Back