Replacing wooden rudder

I have checked the rules and cannot find any mention of replacing a wooden rudder. My boat came with wooden foils.
I would like to make a new one rather than patch the one I have.

In the rules it only says:

(i) A wood rudder shall not be used on a hull that was
originally supplied with a non wood rudder.

What I am after specifically is if I am allowed to create another foil what type of wood is permitted?

I have digitally scanned a brand new foil so I can machine another on my CNC.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Mike

I have checked the rules and cannot find any mention of replacing a wooden rudder. My boat came with wooden foils.
I would like to make a new one rather than patch the one I have.

In the rules it only says:

(i) A wood rudder shall not be used on a hull that was
originally supplied with a non wood rudder.

What I am after specifically is if I am allowed to create another foil what type of wood is permitted?

I have digitally scanned a brand new foil so I can machine another on my CNC.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Mike

You mean make your own rudder? I'm pretty sure that wouldn't qualify as "builder supplied equipment". So no, it wouldn't be legal.

I will say this. If you have the ability to manufacture wooden rudder replicas, I think that would be a cool thing to use for a regatta trophy of some sort.

That makes sense, I was thinking it only had to measure in.
Thanks for the tip.

Mike

Mike, it was my fault, sorry. In another thread at TLF I did told, that all "original builder supplied" old stuff of an old Laser / for that old Laser would be class legal. Sorry, I forgot Rule 15 i, that you mentioned above correct. It seems you need newer foils, original builder supplied ones (do have a red trademark sticker-> see thumbnail in attachment) that follow the limits of measurement diagrams at the class rules.

Ciao
LooserLu

Attachments

• Laser Aufkleber.jpg
    Laser Aufkleber.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 28
I'll just confirm the above. You are not permitted to build you own boards, they must be builder supplied.

So does that mean I would not be able to use the wooden ones that it came with?
Mike

You can use builder-supplied wood boards for a boat old enough to have been sold with them originally. Yours probably is that old, but I'm not sure when the transition was.

You can build a board, sure... you just cant 'officially' race with it... I have often thought about doing the same thing.

I am sorry. The wooden and FRP replica foils are not class legal as they are not builder supplied. Most people use them both recreationally and for club racing. If you have racing foils you may also use these to spare the wear and tear on those racing foils.

Would the wooden version be class legal?

If your boat originally came with them, they are class legal for your boat, even if the wooden blades you are using are not original to your boat they are still legal. I am not sure how a measurer would be able to tell that you are using a wooden daggerboard that came with laser 1769 vs a wooden daggerboard that came with 8817... I would yield to AlanD for additional info here...

I have laser 1769 and 27773... I can use the fiberglass blades from 27773 in 1769 and be legal, but I cant use the wooden blades from 1769 in 27773.

I find a certain romance to the wooden blades that has little relevance to the concept of one design, but does have relevance in terms of the greater idea of what sailing represents....

Correct Pez. We can't tell which set of wooden boards were supplied with which boat. If your boat was originally supplied with wooden boards, you are permitted to use any type of builder supplied board whether they are wood, GRP or foam. If your boat was not originally supplied with wooden boards, you may use either builder supplied GRP or foam boards (the choice is yours), but not wood.

Back