Replace Worn Harken Cleats

Hey guys ..... just bought a 12 year old Laser in pretty good shape but the two Harken mainsail cleats on either side are functional but worn out.

Wondering if I can just order new, remove the two mounting bolts/screws and screw the new cleat back in. No inspection ports on the boat and I'd just as soon not have to cut any to mount backings to the new cleats. Thinking there must be a wood block below the present mounts?

Should be a wood mounting block.

Of course if you follow my advice below, work on your arm strength and just remove the cleats entirely.

Should be a wood mounting block.

Of course if you follow my advice below, work on your arm strength and just remove the cleats entirely.
Yeah thanks .... I don't remember cleats on my first Laser but it didn't have a nice Harken vang either!

I find deck cleats a pain in the a**e (literally). If they are not a pain in the a**e then you are not sat far enough forward when going upwind....

Some people do need them but the 'fastest' way to tack is without them.

If you replace them make sure you use the smallest option. I have harken micro cleats I think on mine (I like deck cleats ok:p ). Less likelihood of ripping the arse out of your hikers then.

I second Torrid, jeffers and Sailorchick. When hiking hard, the sheet can get caught in the cleat. Then I have to bend inwards to release the sheet. And in the worst case scenario, I capsize... :eek:

You guys are really helpful .....its all coming back to me now!

I started Laser sailing #1895 almost 40 years ago and am a little foggy on the rigging details.

This boat I just bought has the side cleats already on. My old boat had the Harken center ratchet and cam with the bracket mounted upside down so the default operation was to release.

Definitely don't want to sit on hard cams when in a weight forward position!

Thanks for the feedback all!

Back