Repair cracks on non-skid deck surface

My neighbor has been kind enough to lend me his Sunfish for me to teach my six year old girl how to sail. I keep it on my floating dock on a cradle, with the bow painter tied off to a cleat.

Recently, a huge squall with 40 to 50 know winds roared up our river, picking up the hull off of the cradle, flipping it over, and smashing it down onto a Alden ocean scull which is tied down next to the Sunfish. The impact caused a crack on the non-skid surface of the deck. Had the painter not been tied off, I'm sure I would have lost the hull as it would have been blown off of the dock.

I attach a photo. Does anyone have any ideas as to the best way to repair this, or know of a professional who could do it for me? I live in Savannah, Georgia.

Attachments

• sunfish cracks.jpg
    sunfish cracks.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 73
Not an easy fix since it is in the non-skid area. I would probably say you would have to make a quick mold of the non-skid pattern large enough to make the repair. The cracked area would be cut away. A new piece made from this temporary mold and placed into the cutout of the deck, then glassed in place. This would require an inspection port to be installed so glass work can be made from the underside. Unlikely you will get a perfect match to the non-skid. I know I would end up having a professional do the work but being from RI, my recommended person is too far from you.

Back