Refurbish boom

My current boom has a lot of corrosion around all the rivets for the fittings and i fear some of them will broke the next time during sailing.

Do you think it will be a good idea to turn all fittings to the opposite site and fill free holes with empty rivets.

Will the boom get to weaky with so much holes ?

Is this boom still legal (it is an original repaired Laser boom , isn't it) ?

Thank you !

adding holes will weaken the boom. if you're concerned about the current holes and rivets,
the usual suggestion is to thru-bolt. there are kits and instructions available.

So if your boom is like this, what's your top section like, particularly underneath the collar? My suggestion is go purchase a new top section and convert the existing top section into a new boom by using all the existing fittings. Make sure you use a corrosion inhibitor between the (monel) rivets and the aluminium and also consider re-rivetting the new top section and bottom section, but with the edition of corrosion inhibitor. This would also be an ideal time to replace the boom blocks, if you're considering the new blocks. Also measure the length of the sleeve inside the boom and make sure that is also current long style.

Back